VMware Cloud Community
roadgeek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

7.0 Update 3i: can't attach existing vmdk using the ESXi host client

My environment: ESXi 7.0 U3i, standalone hypervisor with free license.

I've found a bug that I've been able to reproduce. Starting with 7.0 Update 3i, if you select a VM, go to Edit -> Add Hard Disk -> Existing Hard Disk, select a VMDK -> then press [Select], the Datastore browser window will close, but you are unable to add the disk: clicking "Save" does nothing, and expanding the properties of the newly added disk shows fields with empty values that you cannot change.

Since I'm using a free license, I can't report this as a bug, but I hope someone else here can do it for me.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Looks to be same issue as https://williamlam.com/2022/12/heads-up-esxi-8-0-host-client-unable-to-attach-existing-virtual-disk-... and I suspect as of 7.0 Update 3i, it uses the updated Host Client 2.x version which is affected. Since you're using the free version of ESXi, you won't be able to apply the workaround in blog which requires any license except for free version. Alternatively, you'll have to attach the VMDK by editing the VMX (ensure you reload) for changes to take effect

View solution in original post

9 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Looks to be same issue as https://williamlam.com/2022/12/heads-up-esxi-8-0-host-client-unable-to-attach-existing-virtual-disk-... and I suspect as of 7.0 Update 3i, it uses the updated Host Client 2.x version which is affected. Since you're using the free version of ESXi, you won't be able to apply the workaround in blog which requires any license except for free version. Alternatively, you'll have to attach the VMDK by editing the VMX (ensure you reload) for changes to take effect

Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Comment removed...

roadgeek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, @lamw.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

While this may not be "officially" supported ... for those NOT running ESXi 8.0, you could uninstall Host Client 2.x VIB and install the previous release. When the next patch/update, all system packages will be overridden with the version included in the patch/update

I just ran a simple experiment with ESXi 7.0 Update 3i, which includes Host Client 2.x.

Step 1 - Downloaded ESXi 7.0 Update 3g (there's no H) offline depot (zip) and extracted the contents and find esxi-ui folder which should contain VMware_bootbank_esx-ui_1.43.8-19798623.vib

Step 2 - Uninstall the Host Client 2.x VIB using ESXCLI:

[root@localhost:~] esxcli software vib remove -n esx-ui
Removal Result
Reboot Required: false
VIBs Installed:
VIBs Removed: VMware_bootbank_esx-ui_2.1.1-20188605
VIBs Skipped:

Step 3 - SCP previous ESXi Host Client VIB to desired ESXi host

Step 4 - Install the previoius ESXi Host Client VIB using ESXCLI:

[root@localhost:~] esxcli software vib install -v /VMware_bootbank_esx-ui_1.43.8-19798623.vib
Installation Result
   Reboot Required: false
   VIBs Installed: VMware_bootbank_esx-ui_1.43.8-19798623
   VIBs Removed:
   VIBs Skipped:

Reboot the ESXi host to ensure everything persisted (which it did) and login to ESXi Host Client and verify that adding VMDK to existing VM workflow is successful (which it is as it is using the prior version). 

I personally don't see harm in this workaround since ESXi Host Client is simply a "client" to underlying ESXi API and for those that only have standalone ESXi host and don't have vCenter Server or simply using the Free ESXi license, this at least gives you viable UI until a new update is available with the fixed ESXi Host Client

Jacob-ITL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

your workaround works old GOOD UI started.

New UI is visual CRAP  imho 😞

why always someone must blew away good things... almost everywhere

Best Regards,

Jacob

0 Kudos
3kami3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/rn/vsphere-esxi-70u3l-release-notes.html
> Updates the esx-dvfilter-generic-fastpath, vsan, bmcal, crx, esx-ui, esxio-combiner, vsanhealth, native-misc-drivers, gc, cpu-microcode, vdfs, esx-xserver, esx-base, and trx VIBs to resolve the following issues:
> PR 3092270: VMware Host Client fails to attach an existing virtual disk to a virtual machine

Is the bug resolved in this version?

0 Kudos
Conquistadore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The update seems to fix the problem.

0 Kudos
Jacob-ITL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello everyone, 

That update fix problem but after delete cookie and cached info from  browser.

Enoying logging bug still exist 🙂

on every server and almost every version after send credentials UI hangs before reload to logged panel, and tab refresh fix that.

Once a week this happend... any ideas how to repair this problem ?

0 Kudos
Sanchitkd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please refer to the below KB article for the Workaround:

Unable to add a vmdk to the VM using the Host UI. (93440) (vmware.com)

0 Kudos