VMware Cloud Community
skihobo
Contributor
Contributor

64bit Server 2008 causing VM to crash?

I don't currently have a copy of the last pink screen we got, but it seems like the host we have to crash. We have a HP DL160 G6 (quad core xeon, 12GB of ram, 1.5TB of HD space) running ESXi 4.0.0 (171294)

The host currently has 2 Windows 2003 32bit guests (250gb storage and 2gb ram each) and 1 Windows 2008 64bit w/o hyper-v guest running (also 250gb space, 2gb ram)

We started noticing the host crashing shortly after installing the 2008 guest, so as a test, we leave that server powered off when not in use, and that seemed to have prevented the crashes from happening.

Before I power that guest back up and let it run to get a copy of the error message on the PSOD, are there any known errors that might be causing that problem? The reason that i'm a bit hesitant to let it crash again is that while all 3 of these guests are lightly used application servers, one of them is getting accessed quite often currently as we are training a new employee on that application, and i don't want it to crash on them.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert

People complained of issued with the intel e1000 driver on windows 2008 r2 causing a crash of the vm, but not a crash of the host.

What a tough situation you obviously can't afford to have your host server crash.

Could you have bad memory?

Only when you enable the additional vm that is accesses the memory and causes the crash.

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi All,

Actually the thing that is hangs is my Windows Server 2008 R2 VM not the ESXi host.

So far I'm having problem in Virtualizing Windows Server 2008 R2 but not the normal Windows Server 2008.

Kind Regards,

AWT

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
skihobo
Contributor
Contributor

that could be a possibility... i guess i really need to see what the error message is... guess i'll see if i can get it to crash over the weekend

0 Kudos
skihobo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Albert,

We are running R2 as well, what sort of problems are you having? Are they similar to mine?

It sounds like your other guests aren't affected by your server 2008 r2 vm hanging though?

0 Kudos