VMware Cloud Community
rmustafa
Contributor
Contributor

64 bit VM video memory limitation in vsphere 5 ???

HI,

I wanted to increase my video RAM to 512 MB in 64 bit VM , it possible ????? if then how ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

No not possible, I think 128Mb is maximum.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere5/r50/vsphere-50-configuration-maximums.pdf

On page 2 of the above document:

"Video memory per virtual machine 128MB"

0 Kudos
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just curious, what's the purpose of such an amount of Videoram on a virtual machine?

0 Kudos
rmustafa
Contributor
Contributor

I need to have 512 MB video memory ....the application involves heavy graphic ...like CAD/CAM..

This is the prereuist of the application .....will it work under vsphere 5 or 4 ????? is it possible to have 512 MB video memory on VM's under vsphere 5 or 4 ??

0 Kudos
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

rmustafa schrieb:

I need to have 512 MB video memory ....the application involves heavy graphic ...like CAD/CAM..

This is the prereuist of the application .....will it work under vsphere 5 or 4 ????? is it possible to have 512 MB video memory on VM's under vsphere 5 or 4 ??

Like Linjo and Golddiggie wrote, 128 MB is the max.

But I doubt that vSphere is an appropriate solution for your application. Usually it is not only video memory, but certified graphics cards and drivers (GL, DirectX) that are requiered.

Altough graphics have been improved on the workstation part (VMware Workstation, VMware Fusion), the main purpose of vSphere is server virtualization.

0 Kudos