VMware Cloud Community
jprovine7
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

6.5 build 7526125 -latest build

Is 6.5 build 7526125 the most current build for 6.5 I want to get to the latest version of vCenter ,esxi version, but I am not quite ready to go to 6.7. Do you still have to the do the vCenter first followed by the esxi server? Are there hardware version that are not compatible with the newest build I have some virtual machine still on hardware version 7

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can always get the build numbers and their release dates from this KB. The latest build of the 6.5 code base is 9298722 (Update 2c).

Do you still have to the do the vCenter first followed by the esxi server?

Yes, always.

Are there hardware version that are not compatible with the newest build I have some virtual machine still on hardware version 7

v7 still works, although it's recommended you be at 10 or higher at this point, especially for the latest security patches to be effective against Spectre/Meltdown (search for this if you need more info; it's been covered tons).

View solution in original post

15 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can always get the build numbers and their release dates from this KB. The latest build of the 6.5 code base is 9298722 (Update 2c).

Do you still have to the do the vCenter first followed by the esxi server?

Yes, always.

Are there hardware version that are not compatible with the newest build I have some virtual machine still on hardware version 7

v7 still works, although it's recommended you be at 10 or higher at this point, especially for the latest security patches to be effective against Spectre/Meltdown (search for this if you need more info; it's been covered tons).

jprovine7
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So in case you have issues can you snapshot your virtual vcenter and/or clone it prior to upgrade

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You should always snapshot your vCSA prior to an upgrade or even patch. Always. In case of failure, revert the snapshot. A clone is way overkill.

0 Kudos
jprovine7
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I see you have to the upgrade to the vCenter through the shell, which makes sense, and then of course it will be unavailable at some point during the upgrade

Install vCenter Server Appliance Patches

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You don't need to use shell if you don't want. You can use the GUI over port 5480. But, yes, when the upgrade is in progress clearly the services won't be available.

0 Kudos
jprovine7
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don't understand what you mean by gui using the port 5480

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

URL meant here is the VAMI page, it is a webconsole to connect to VCSA for configuring and managing the appliance, you may access the VAMI page by using the URL given below

https://VMware vCenter Server Appliance IP address or fqdn:5480

replace the middle part with actual vCenter IP or fqdn

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
jprovine7
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Okay so once you login to vmware vsphere appliance manager where do you go to do the vCenter upgrade

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think it's under administration.

0 Kudos
jprovine7
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Do you use the administrator@vsphere.local to login?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Use root. All this is in the documentation, btw, so go check it out.

0 Kudos
jprovine7
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Great thanks root did not work

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's supposed to so there must be something going on.

0 Kudos
jprovine7
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I figured it out

Update from the GUI go to  https://fqdn or ip:5480

1.Login with the root user

2.In the left hand menu select Update

3. Select the button in the right hand corner "Check Updates"

0 Kudos
daphnissov