VMware Cloud Community
adriankoooo
Contributor
Contributor

6.5 ESXI and USB printer

I am trying to make work a Zebra USB printer on my ESXI 6.5 host. I added a USB 2.0 controller to my guest machine (tried Windows 7 and Debian 10, Ubuntu) then I added my Zebra printer as USB device. All my guest machines are recognising the printer (lsusb on guest shows it, Windows recognises the printer), but after setting up drivers in Windows or CUPS in Linux I am unable to print any data to the printer. I am pretty sure it is a problem with ESXI configuration. The printer prints perfectly fine on any other non ESXI device.

I tried to disable vmkusb based on this: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/ESXi-Discussions/esxi-6-5-usb-printer-partial-printing-on-guest-VM...

...but I don't know if it's actually become disabled. How can I check it?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
adriankoooo
Contributor
Contributor

Edit, vmkusb is disabled:

[root@esxi:~] esxcli system module list | grep vmkusb
vmkusb false false

...but enabled or disabled, doesn't help.

0 Kudos
adriankoooo
Contributor
Contributor

Here is my vmware.log (renamed to csv, only this is allowed) with enabled option usb.analyzer.enable.

0 Kudos
l3gsh0t
Contributor
Contributor

Ever make any progress on this? I have a similar issue with a Brother label printer. Lsusb shows the printer, the software on the VM can modify the settings (I see lights changing when settings are changed), the drivers show up from device as mass storage, but cannot print from VM environment.

0 Kudos
Loranet
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar issue, from memory I had to turn off the USB arbitration but I'm not 100% certain on that

I'll have a look at my configuration in the next day or two and report back

0 Kudos