VMware Cloud Community
Mattotone
Contributor
Contributor

6.5.0 Update 3 CBT Backups entire drive and not just used space

Hi
I am fairly new to ESXI and having issues with Backups using Iperius Backup, particularly the 1.6TB drive in the server2016 VM despite it being empty performs a full backup at 1.6TB

The Ubuntu20 VM has a full backup size of 18GB which is equivalent to the size of the VM
The Server2016 machine has a primary drive backup of 20Gb which again is equivalent to the size of the VM
However, the secondary drive 1.6TB has a backup of 1.6TB despite the drive being empty.

I have tried resetting the CBT, Recreating the drive as Thick, Thin, provisioning.
After creating the drive, it is initialized in windows and quick formatted, I have also reset the CBT after this process too.

After speaking with Iperius support, they have told me that ESXI is reporting the change blocks start at 0 and end at 1.6Tb and therefore backups the entire drive.

I have 3 Virtual Machines, all with CBT enabled

Ubuntu 20 - Single 500GB - Thick provisioned lazy zeros
Server 2016  600GB thin provisioned, and 1.6Tb thin provisioned
Server 2012 (Iperius BACKUP)  250GB thin, 2TB thin (NOT BACKED UP)

3 Physical HDD, 1 for VM's (1TB), 1 for Data/Documents/Videos (1.6TB),  etc, 1 for Backups (2TB).

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mattotone
Contributor
Contributor

I have recreated the drive, reset the CBT the first backup was 300MB, the day after the backup was the full drive again.

0 Kudos