VMware Cloud Community
AKSAdrian
Contributor
Contributor

512GB Samsung SSD only detected as 120GB

Hello,

I am running ESXi 7.0 on a custom build server machine. I bought a new Samsung 860 Pro 512GB, plugged it in to the server and it reports the capacity to be 120GB, when I go to wipe and create a datastore it still reports it as 120GB. I thought that it might just be a bug, so I tried copying a VM to it that is larger than 120GB, ESXi told me there wasn't enough space so that is the available storage space ESXi can see. Weird...

I removed it and plugged it into a Windows Server machine, and it recognised the full 512GB size of the SSD. I formatted it using NTFS and plugged it back into the ESXi machine, still reports incorrect space, tried again with FAT32, still no luck. 

So, at this point I have no idea. Any ideas would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

According to the model number, this is a 128GB device.
Does it show another model number on the label? If so you may need to contact the vendor/shop from where you got that device.

André

0 Kudos
AKSAdrian
Contributor
Contributor

I've messages the Ebay seller. Strange how Windows sees it as 512gb. I need to see how this goes before I do anything else.

0 Kudos
AKSAdrian
Contributor
Contributor

I got back home and took out the SSD to look at the serial number. In Windows and on the SSDs label, they both have the same serial number: S42YNF0M113116Y. In ESXi it's not that at all.

Is this a fake drive or is there something ESXi doesn't like about this drive?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Definitely a strange thing. I can't tell you what's going on, but the model number in your screenshots resolves to a 128GB M.2 device with an Internet search.
Please don't mind me asking, but can you confirm that you don't have a second device in the ESXi host (the 128GB device)?

What you may do is to use the vendor's Magician tool to verify the device (https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/consumer/).

André

0 Kudos