VMware Cloud Community
ckeith7777
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

5.5 vCPU Maximum for Standard and Enterprise Editions

I know the maximum vCPU per VM with enterprise plus licensing is 64, but what is the maximums with 5.5 for Standard and Enterprise?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Enterprise is 32

Standard is 8

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Enterprise is 32

Standard is 8

0 Kudos
ckeith7777
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick response Troy!

0 Kudos
therealwinston
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for this info Troy.  I've been looking for this info from an official VMware document.  I looked at a number of web pages comparing VMware editions, but this difference regarding max number of vCPUs is not listed.  I also looked a the "Configuration Maximums" doc, and it also does not call out the difference maximums by edition.  Do you know of any VMware doc that has this info?  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please take a look at VMware KB: Licensing for vSphere 5.5 for clarification about the (lifted) licensing restrictions.

André

0 Kudos
therealwinston
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Awesome -- thanks for the link André.

What I see in the KB is:

As of vSphere 5.5, these provisions apply to all paid editions of vSphere, vSphere with Operations Management, and vCloud Suite:

• There are no restrictions on the number of vCPUs per virtual machine

So, it seems what was stated above (max vCPU per VM = 8 for Std. Ed, 32 for Ent. Ed, or 64 for Ent. Plus) is no longer valid, and all paid vSphere editions now support a max of 64 vCPU per VM.  Did I understand that correctly?

Thanks again ...

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes that's how I understand this too, although I never tried this on previous versions to see whether this works and/or whether a patch is required for this to work.

André

0 Kudos
therealwinston
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Got it. Thanks ... appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
Jeff_DDP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The KB states that it applies to vSphere 5.0, 5.1, and 5.5 (though the title only states 5.5).  I just validated that a fully patched 5.1 host with a Standard Edtion license still has an 8 vCPU limit.

-Jeff

0 Kudos