VMware Cloud Community
mightyschwartz
Contributor
Contributor

4gb of physical ram only registers as 3.5gb

I've tried ESXi versions 3.5, 4.0 and 4.1

All three register my server's 4gb of ram as 3.5gb.

I am using a HP Proliant DL360 G4 Dual Xeon 3.4 GHz with 4GB of RAM. I have an 8GB kit on its way and I'm hoping to be able to harness that with ESXi.

It POSTs at 4GB on startup.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

at which place do you see the 3.5 GB? Remember that ESXi itself also needs some RAM to operate, which is not available for virtual machines.

I have an 8GB kit on its way...

According to the HP quickspecs (http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12166_div/12166_div.html) a maximum of 6 x 2GB modules is possible, so hopefully the 8GB kit you ordered consists of 4x2GB modules!?

Btw. are you aware that the DL360/DL380 G4 generation does not support Intel-VT and therefore cannot run any 64 bit guests?

André

0 Kudos
mightyschwartz
Contributor
Contributor

Andre,

I see the 3.5GB at the ESX window on the host itself.

I booted a live usb ubuntu distro and it showed 3.5 as well. I then watched the post carefully and it appears as though there may be an issue with one of the sticks of RAM.

The kit I ordered is a 4x2gb kit which should max it out as there are only 4 slots(there are a few versions of this server).

I was bummed out about the 64-bit deal, but I plan to use it for a local web dev box and an Untangle box so I think 32-bit will suffice.

0 Kudos