VMware Cloud Community
hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

4.1 U1 - It's very quiet in here?

Currently running 4.1 and of course 4.1 U1 is now available.  I don't see many posts on it in here.  Is that because not many people have taken the plunge or because it's "just another update" in vsphere terms i.e. not to be considered quite so major as, say, a Windows Service Pack?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
47 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

considering it came out very late 2/10, would mean to install the update on a Friday.  For us, unless there is an emergency change, nothing gets updated on Fridays.

May have more activity on this rollup within the coming weeks.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I agree with Troy about the timing of the release.  I expect to see more post and feedback next week. 

0 Kudos
mvoss18
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I upgraded from 4.1 to 4.1 U1 last night with no issues.  I applied the host updates to ESXi using vihostupdate and it took around 20 seconds to execute on each host, then required a reboot.  For vCenter, it went fine however during the update I had to make sure that the service account for vCenter had db_owner rights to the MSDB database, and had ownership of all of the SQL jobs (I ran the upgrade as the vCenter service account).  We also updated vCenter Converter and the VI Client with no hiccups.

I usually tend to wait a while for update releases, but our security folks recognized that this update addressed multiple vulnerabilities for vCenter and ESXi.  Since I was doing maintenance last night, it made sense to just go ahead and apply U1.

Good reasons to update are if you plan on running Windows Server 2008 R2 Sp1 or Windows 7 Sp1 which comes out Feb 22nd.  SQL Server 2008 R2 is also now supported with 4.1 U1.

hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well it still seems very quiet for a service pack/point release - I guess that's a good sign, I just don't seem to have seen many horror stories?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Just an annoyance but vMotion and FT disable after you reboot an ESXi host.  But it is mentioned in the release notes.

0 Kudos
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I actually cannot find the release notes,,,I updated to U1 on a couple of hosts and vmotion is still enabled. Could you elaborate please. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The release notes can be found with the rest of the documentation for vSphere.  You have to reboot the hosts to experience the problem. http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_esxi41_u1_rel_notes.html vMotion and Storage vMotion •vMotion is disabled after a reboot of ESXi 4.1 host If you enable vMotion on an ESXi host and reboot the ESXi host, vMotion is no longer enabled after the reboot process is completed. Workaround: To resolve the issue, reinstall the latest version of ESXi image provided by your system vendor.

0 Kudos
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Strange I have never had the issue with rebooting my esxi 4.1 hosts.

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It's an interesting definition of a "workaround" there.

0 Kudos
AureusStone
Expert
Expert

I have updated to U1.  Everything seems to be working fine.

When I rebooted my hosts to update to 4.1U1 vMotion was not disabled.

I guess you are not hearing much because this update is all bugfixes that have already been installed by a lot of people.  It is usually the major upgrade releases like 4.1, not the patch releases that cause issues.

One thing I did notice is it automatically changed my path policy from fixed to round-robin.

0 Kudos
Exwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I ran into this VMotion issue when I upgraded a client ESXi environment from 4.0 U1 to 4.1. Looks like the issue still hasn't been fixed.

0 Kudos
ThomasMc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

All 3 of my hosts had problems with certain files after the upgrade to 4.1u1

~ # find . -type l | (while read FN ; do test -e "$FN" || ls -ld "$FN"; done)
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root                 19 Jan 13 01:36 ./usr/lib/vmware/hostd/docroot/downloads -> /scratch/downloads/
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root                 17 Jan 13 01:36 ./var/tmp -> /scratch/var/tmp/
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root                 18 Jan 13 01:36 ./vmupgrade -> /locker/vmupgrade/
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root                 12 Feb 21 10:16 ./scratch -> /tmp/scratch
~ #

Thomas McConnell vPadawan
0 Kudos
DrJohnEaton
Contributor
Contributor

In my experience reinstallation is by far the better option. Perform a reinstallation and kindly repost.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

One of the 3 hosts I updated (Embedded) had an issue with /scratch.  fdisk showed that the partition was gone.

0 Kudos
Exwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's interesting. I'm looking on my Installable box, and I see /scratch being a symlink to /tmp/scratch. /tmp is another filesystem, though.

Did you have the scratch location changed from the default?

0 Kudos
ThomasMc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dave can you run;

find . -type l | (while read FN ; do test -e "$FN" || ls -ld "$FN"; done)

to see if it was the only link that got broken.

Thomas McConnell vPadawan
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry guys - I meant to say /store is gone.  ThomasMC - this host is also getting the VUM 10 error you posted about. Missing /store messes up the link to locker and subsequently to /productlocker which results in an error trying to install VMware Tools.

0 Kudos
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I updated 3 Esxi hosts today with U1,,, and each of them still has a /store

0 Kudos
hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hmm some horror stories which is a little scary.  Our hosts are brand new and have only ever had 4.1 on them from the vmware ISO, I didn't imagine U1 would be that big of a deal vs. the other patches we installed using Update Manager when we set the stuff up.

0 Kudos