VMware Cloud Community
seanhsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

4.1 ESXi Driver Installation Errors

Hello,

I am having touble installing a driver.

Description

I have a Cisco UCS C460 M1 with a Broadcom  M51KR-B  which is a version of the BCM 5771 10 Gigabit Ethernet

Symptoms

When ESXi is booted It currently reports that the link is down with esx and on the switch and there is no link light.

When the server first boots there is a link light and I believe the hardware is all functioning normally.

Within the hardware compatibility list the driver bnx2x version 1.52.12.v40.3 is recomended.

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?action=search&deviceCategory=io&productId=1...

I have downloaded the driver from vmware.

Actions Taken So Far

When I try to install the driver via vihostupdate I get the following error

C:\Windows\system32>vihostupdate.pl --server cofdrvs01 --install --bundle e:\off
line-bundle\BCM-bnx2x-1.52.12.v40.3-offline_bundle-223054.ZIP
Enter username: root
Enter password:
Please wait patch installation is in progress ...
No matching bulletin or VIB was found in the metadata.No bulletins for this platform could be found. Nothing to do.

When trying to import into Update manager I receive the error "Cannot find patch Metadata"

When I try to install the dirver using PowerCLI it

install-vmhostpatch -vmhost cofdrvs01 -hostpath /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/BCM-bn2x-1.52.12.v40.3-offline_bundle-223043/metadata.zip

the percent complete 0 screen appears briefly and power shell crashes

I have re-downloaded the driver and have had the same symptoms.

Any assistance appreciated.

Regards

Sean

0 Kudos
3 Replies
seanhsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Additional Information.

The current driver version is 1.54.1.v41.1-2vmw

0 Kudos
seanhsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The correct driver version to install is

1.62.11.v40.1

which did not correspond with the compatibility guide but does solve the issues.

Cheers

Sean

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Sean,

I've got the same problem, using PowerCLI as well and experiencing random crashes as soon as Install-VMHostPatch is used.

Using Intel Drivers and in rare cases the commend completes succesfully, very odd problem.

I'll raise a new thread for this with specific "Crash PowerCli" in the topic.

Kenneth

0 Kudos