VMware Cloud Community
chriswaltham
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

4.0U1 hosts disconnecting from vCenter Server

I have a cluster of five ESX 4 hosts (they are all HP BL25p G1 Blades); since upgrading from 4.0.0 to 4.0 U1 I am experiencing intermittent issues with the hosts disconnecting from vCenter Server. That is, I will be working in the vSphere Client and occasionally (perhaps once or twice a day, per host) the host will suddenly change its status to "Disconnected".

At this point, the VMs on the host are still running, but of course I cannot control them via the vSphere Client. The 4.0 U1 update is the only change I've made to the hosts; there have been no networking or other back-end changes made since then. I have two other ESX 4 clusters -- which are still at 4.0.0 -- and, despite them sharing the same networking resources, they are not disconnecting; which leads me to think it's a bug introduced in 4.0 U1.

Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jb12345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are they running Insight Manager? Have you looked at KB article (ID 1016070) ?

chriswaltham
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks; I actually saw that KB article after I upgraded the cluster. That's why I have a test cluster, I suppose Smiley Happy I'll disable the agents and see if that stops the problem. I'll let you know!

0 Kudos
jb12345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is more info at http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk/?p=1953 about possible work-arounds. Good luck.

0 Kudos
chriswaltham
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That didn't seem to fix it -- one host in particular is being disconnected more often than the others, and I've disabled (and, even, uninstalled) the HP management agents.

0 Kudos
lhcrnetadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Run these commands from the esx console.

service mgmt-vmware restart

service vmware-vpxa resstart

service vmware-vmkauthd restart

I've had this happened to me several times and this was the only way to fix the disconnects. Restarting those services will not bring anything down BTW.

0 Kudos