VMware Cloud Community
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

4.0 to 4.1 upgrade packages

We have a two host HA cluster and a seperate server we use for vSphere Client. We need to upgrade from ESXi 4.0 to 4.1. I am having a hard time finding the upgrade packages I need to perform this install. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Also, as I understand it, I will upgrade the vSphere client first and then push the update to the hosts from the Client. Does that sould right?

TIA!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is correct, you can use the downloadable iso.  There is also a specific upgrade package as well that can be used to upgrade from 4.0.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you referring to vCenter as opposed to vSphere Client?  If yes, then you are correct.  vCenter needs to be updated first, and then you can update ESX through update manager once that is complete.

-KjB

0 Kudos
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm a little fuzzy on the naming.

We use vSphere Client to manage our cluster of two hosts in a HA environment. Isn't vCenter the same thing?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The vSphere client is used to connect to either a vCenter server, or an ESXi host.  vCenter is the server that allows you to create an HA cluster of more than one ESX host, and provides the centralized management of your vSphere infrastructure.

-KjB

Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Got it, thanks.

Would you happen to know where I can download the upgrade package from? vmware definitely doesn't make it easy...

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just go to http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vsphere/4_1

Scroll down to the license type you hold, and then select which products to download.

-KjB

0 Kudos
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So for a 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade I would just download the appropriate (essentials, standard, etc...) 4.1 update 2 install? Does the install process differentiate between 'clean install' and 'upgrade'?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is correct, you can use the downloadable iso.  There is also a specific upgrade package as well that can be used to upgrade from 4.0.

-KjB

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

...and if you have VMware Update Manager (VUM) the upgrade can be automated through your cluster(s).  With that said, I would prefer a rolling rebuild to 4.1.  4.1 was a major release and would probably be a cleaner way of getting your hosts to 4.1 instead of an upgrade

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1019239

0 Kudos
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't see the upgrade package you mentioned. Do you know where I could get it?

TIA!

NM, found it. You have to expand the download contents and it showed the 'upgrade from 4.0 ZIP,' Thanks kjb007.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you want the upgrade bundle, check http://www.vmware.com/patchmgr/download.portal

0 Kudos
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just realized that we don't have the update manager installed on our vCenter server. Is this something that I can install now and then do the 'upgrade' or does it need to be done dirung vCenter installation?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The installation program will allow you to install the Update Manager separately.  Just install it, run the task to download from the repository, and then update as needed.

-KjB

0 Kudos
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Since I will still be on 4.0 when I install the update manager I need to use the 4.0 version, right? Also, other than vm backups, are there any additional steps or caveats that you know of before upgrading vCenter from 4.0 to 4.1?

Edit - Actually, can the vCenter be upgraded to 4.1 before the upgrade manager is installed? Can I do the upgrade on vCenter first (to 4.1) then install the upgrade manager?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vCenter should always be done first, and then the corresponding update manager from the same build should be updated, and then after that has been completed should you move to the ESX hosts.

-KjB

0 Kudos
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay, so I've got -

1) Using upgrade package 'upgrade-from-esxi4.0-to-4.1-update02-502767.zip,' I upgrade our current vCenter server from 4.0 to 4.1.

2) Install the 4.1 version of update manager from the 4.1 update 2 installation CD.

3) In update manager I just 'download from repository' and it will list all pertinent updates needed.

sound right?

(Thanks for all your help, BTW)

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That package is for ESXi upgrade, and that will be used with update manager, once it's up and running.

To upgrade, use the 4.1 U2 image, either ISO or zip format, and run through the install as if you were installing new.  It will detect you have vCenter running, and will ask if you want to upgrade, which you do.  Then will come the database, which will ask if you want to keep or overwrite, which you will keep.  Update the wizard as needed, and let it upgrade your vcenter.

Then you will upgrade update manager using that same install wizard, just selecting update manager.

Finally, after you have that done, you can import that upgrade package into update manager to update your ESXi hosts to 4.1

Here's the upgrade guide to help answer detailed questions:  http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_upgrade_guide.pdf

-KjB

0 Kudos
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I will be upgrading vCenter first but I don't have update manager currently installed. So after I upgrade I can just install a fresh update manager from the install disc, right?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Correct.

-KjB

0 Kudos