VMware Cloud Community
Jer0886
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

32GB RAM Limit on ESXi 5.5?

I recently upgraded one of my ESXi servers from 4.1 to 5.5 (free edition). Because of the VSphere Client management limitation, I avoided upgrading the VM Hardware to v.10 (it is currently at v.7).

Here's my issue: the VSphere Client allows me to allocate more than 32GB of RAM to the VM, however, the VM (running 64-bit W2008 R2) only shows 32GB of RAM once it's booted up (regardless of the amount OVER 32GB I've allocated in VSphere).

Has anyone run into this before? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jeremy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - I assume you are running the standard version of Windows - Microsoft caps the memory of Windows 2008 r2 x64 to 32 GB - you will need to run a different version of Windows Enterprise or Datacenter - Memory Limits for Windows and Windows Server Releases (Windows)

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - I assume you are running the standard version of Windows - Microsoft caps the memory of Windows 2008 r2 x64 to 32 GB - you will need to run a different version of Windows Enterprise or Datacenter - Memory Limits for Windows and Windows Server Releases (Windows)

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Jer0886
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

(facepalm)

...and on my very first post...well...had to happen sometime.

Thanks!

Jeremy