VMware Cloud Community
cdakers1
Contributor
Contributor

2120S Crusader

I'm confused and could use some clarification. I currently have 3 ESX 3.5 hosts booting from SCSI RAIDs connected via Adaptec 2120S Crusader adapters. I'm preparing to upgrade to ESX 4 and see the 2120S on the HCL, but it lists it as only SCSI and makes no mention of the RAID feature. Will the RAID function of this card work with 4.0?

If not, any suggestions on a PCI-X or PCI-E U320 SCSI RAID adapter for use with 4.0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Most likely the RAID function won't be an issue... When you click on it's line item/link under the HCL it lists (in the Model/Release details) "aacraid version 3.5.10.5vmw" for the ESX/ESXi 4.0 and 4.0 u1 releases.

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

cdakers1
Contributor
Contributor

That's pretty much what I was thinking, but I need to make sure before I try to perform the upgrades. Does anyone know for sure, or have a working ESX 4 install using the 2120S in a RAID configuration?

0 Kudos
cdakers1
Contributor
Contributor

FYI - The Adaptec 2120S RAID controller does in fact work on ESX 4 and ESX 4 U1 with complete RAID functionality. I was finally able to test, and it works perfectly with the inbox drivers. Also, the LSI Logic MegaRAID SCSI 320-1 RAID functions work with the inbox drivers.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Generally speaking, if a hardware item is listed as working under the HCL (for the release you're going for), and also lists VMware ESX/ESXi on the manufacturer's page for the item, it's going to work properly/fully. I would trust Adaptec RAID controllers that are listed in the HCL (and list compatibility on the Adaptec site).

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos