VMware Cloud Community
cyr0nk0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2008 R2 mouse choppy in console (wddm driver NOT resolved)

I have a similar problem as KB1011709 although my machines aren't freezing. The mouse in the console screen is very choppy. I am running esx 4 build 208167, and vsphere build 208111.

I have already upgraded the 2008 R2 to the WDDM drive per KB1011709.

I have also tried changing the mouse driver between PS/2 generic, and VMware pointing device, however both are choppy. I have uninstalled and re-installed VMware tools several times and nothing I am doing seems to fix the issue.

Is anyone else experieicing this? It is really annoying working inside the VM's through the console since the mouse is so choppy.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
dmadden
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Looks like you referenced the same KB twice. Did you also take a look at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1016770 ? It recommends that increasing the video ram to 32MB will provide the best console performance.

0 Kudos
cyr0nk0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have tried with both 8mb of video memory and 32mb of video memory. No change.

0 Kudos
ArunNukala
Contributor
Contributor

Increase hardware accelereation , that should resolve the issue.

Arun N

0 Kudos
cyr0nk0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can't increase hardware acceleration. When I switched to the WDDM driver the hardware acceleration option is grayed out now.

0 Kudos
cyr0nk0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
cyr0nk0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

According to this thread hardware acceleration is not available with the WDDM driver for some reason.

Any other way to fix this?

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/219515

0 Kudos
mgower
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone heard of any resolution to this issue.

I've recently updated everything in the vSphere environment to U2. Introduced the first 2008 R2 server and experienced the console hangs. Changed the video to 32MB of RAM and loaded the WDDM driver and it fixes the hanging problem but the mouse is still choppy. What's weird is that the acceleration is greyed out. The behaviour of the mouse is almost like it's not fully accelerated.

I'm going to check using the latest SVGAII driver again (with the hanging) and see if I can reduce the acceleration setting to see if there's a middle of the road acceptable solution.

P.S. couldn't access the last thread's link.

0 Kudos
RobertPRAG
Contributor
Contributor

I found that using the WDDM driver didn't solve the problem, but manually installing the SVGA II driver worked and stopped the choppy mouse. A BIG however though - the SVGA II driver once manually installed made my W2008R2 server unstable and it would hang on a regular basis (4 or 5 times on my test server).

The solution I've gone for is to leave the R2 box with a choppy mouse and just use RDP. This was a pain when implementing new servers, but works a treat once they are setup and its very rare I have to use the machine via the console and can't use RDP.

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos