VMware Cloud Community
sssstew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2 VMs on same host - one drops pings, other doesnt?

Hi All

Got a strange one, ive got two VMs on the same host, if i run a constant ping from my workstation to these systems one shows a good solid 1ms, the other VM shows between 2 and 4ms and drops packets about once a minute.  Why would this be?

They are on the same network, same number of hops via tracert.  The only difference i can see is that one VM shows as running about  12.5 KBps on the network performance tab (the one that drops pings), the other shows only about 4 KBps on average.

Any clues?

Stew
0 Kudos
4 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

what about vm to vm? if it's still the same chances is that it could be due to the OS related issue.

0 Kudos
sssstew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hmm pinging each other internally seems to be ok with a short test i did this morning.....

Stew
0 Kudos
vm_arch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is the physical NIC config for the vSwitch these VMs are on?

I have seen this sort of intermittent issue previously where the vSwitch has 2 or more physical NICs assigned but where one of those physical NICs either has some contention (i.e. with svc console or other) or where one of the NICs is not connected/configured (i.e. switch port vLAN issue etc)

. VMware is smart enough 'usually' to route everything through the working NIC, but sometimes a packet or two might disappear into the black hole that is the other nic port.

0 Kudos
sssstew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Two physical NICs in Active/Active.  With what looks like vmotion and service console also on, which isnt best, from my experience its best to seperate out the Vmotion and Service Console onto seperate NIC ports.....

Stew
0 Kudos