VMware Cloud Community
JasonHoyt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

2 Networks, 2 NIC's, 1 Management

I've looked in lots of places but I can seem to figure out how to get my ESXi Management Console to "answer" from 2 different subnets. I have 1 ESXi 5.1 server, it has 4 NIC's. I have two separate networks (i.e. 192.168.0.0/24 & 10.0.0.0/20). I have a separate physical NIC connected to each network. I want to be able to login to (using vSphere Client) my ESXi server from either network. Not to confuse things, I also want the Standalone Converter to send a physical machine copy to ESXi from PC's that are on those separate networks. (I want to do it a lot, so sneaker net is not a reasonable option.) Any ideas? Or correct places to look? Or search terms that get me closer?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - You will need to create a second vmkernel port with on an IP address on the second network or you can create a router either physical or virtual that can create a route between the two network -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - You will need to create a second vmkernel port with on an IP address on the second network or you can create a router either physical or virtual that can create a route between the two network -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
JasonHoyt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey thanks. I have tried that (I believe).

ScreenShot1.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Shouldn't the Management Network on vSwitch0 have a 192.168..x.x IP address rather than 168.x.x.x?

André

0 Kudos
JasonHoyt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Reference to network 192.168.x.x was an example network. Actual is on a 168.x.x.x.

0 Kudos
JasonHoyt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can't (won't) create a physical route between the two networks. Virtual...have to think on that, but would that allow all traffic to flow from one side to the other? I could live with traffic flowing from the 10.x.x.x to the other, but definitely not the other direction (thus the physical network separation).

0 Kudos
JasonHoyt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well now I just feel dumb. Not too dumb.

A reboot of ESXi server with the above configuration and she took right off. That is all I failed to do over the last two weeks of research and trial and error. Not that I'm not more knowledgeable now, but that's still annoying.

Thanks everyone.

0 Kudos