VMware Cloud Community
IKT_Bee
Contributor
Contributor

2 NICs with different config

Hi all,

I got a few ESX Hosts in a Cluster. We latelty migrated to new ToR Switches. On first NIC which is an ALOM Card (Qlogic) i only get 25gig if I configure 25gig as duplex speed. On Second NIC which is an Mellanox i only get 25gig if i configure Auto Negotiate. For Both Same Settings on Switch Port are dependent.

ESXi Version is 7.03c. Has anyone expirienced a behavior like this or has any advise if there could be any problems running with this config?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AnatoxinD
Contributor
Contributor

From a host perceptive there is no problem running one card at Auto Negotioation and the other as static duplex as long they have the same uplink speed.

However, there is not a generally a good idea to aggregate uplinks with mixed brands and settings.

0 Kudos
degvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As long as the nics are supported, it might be possible. Keep an eye on firmware and driver, to have the right combination. check https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1003685

But I would avoid running this config for longer, because the chance to have issues on one of the driver/firmware combination is higher.

0 Kudos