VMware Cloud Community
Dakarai
Contributor
Contributor

2 HP DL360G6 Dual QC Intel 5570 w/40GB RAM. VMs slow on one host, not on other

I am having the weirdest issues with my vSphere environment. I have two identical hosts running a total of 11 vms. All the VMs on host 1 run fine, but the ones on host 2 are slow. If I move one VM from Host 2 to Host 1 it performs fine. Can someone please point me in the right direction on this one? There is no resource contention on either host. The total amount of RAM for all servers combined is under 40 GB. Points will be awarded!!!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Do both machines have the BBWC option installed and is write caching enabled on the controller?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Dakarai
Contributor
Contributor

Let me add that these are both connected to and EMC NX4. I have two paths to the iSCSI target. I am using 2 HP Procurve 1800-G for iSCSI traffic. These are two separate switches. They are not connected at all. The VMware ESXi is installed on HP Certified 2GB SD disks.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Monitor traffic at the switch. Monitor at the EMC end. What do VMware logs show? Anything in the VM vmware logs?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Has your storage 2 storage controllers?

Are you enabling jumbo frames on you hp switches?

Have you tried first only single path?

0 Kudos
Dakarai
Contributor
Contributor

I do have multiple controllers on my NAS and my ESXi hosts. Jumbo frames are on on both switches. I did have single path at first, but that was just during the initial setup and config.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Check the docu below - you will see the right iscsi config there.

Can you make a screenshots of your esx iscsi config (vswitch, iscsi mulitpathing, etc.)

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Also, ensure there are no duplex mismatches between NICs and switches along the way.

Please award points to any useful answer.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

That occurs often on storages with MRU policy (yours) and incorrect configured lun access - path thrashing (by MRU always the same controller).

Also check your storage/lun configuration also.

0 Kudos
Tigerstolly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is hardware virtualisation support (Intel VT) enabled on the slow host ?

Dakarai
Contributor
Contributor

I am planning on taking the Hosts offline tonight (it's 10:30am EST now.). I will compare BIOS setting and report the information back here. I will also revisit the config and post screenshots as well. I WILL award points to whomever provides me with the most correct answer. I will award helper points.

0 Kudos
Dakarai
Contributor
Contributor

After going thru the BIOS' on each of the host I noticed some differences in the Power Settings. I modified the setting below to match that of the host that is functioning properly. Now everything is functioning properly on both hosts. I am reviewing the previous posts to see where points should be awarded. Thanks to everyone for the answers.

Power Mgmt Options=>HP Power Profile from Max Power to Balanced Power and Performance

Power Mgmt Options=>HP Power Regulator from HP Static High Performance Mode

to HP Dynamic Power Savings Mode

0 Kudos
Dakarai
Contributor
Contributor

I resolved the issue myself. I have awarded points for helpful answers.

0 Kudos