VMware Cloud Community
gerltl
Contributor
Contributor

2 Datastores on ESXi hypervisor 4.1 - upgrade issue

Both datastores were visible via the VSphere Client.  I upgraded to 5.1.  the upgrade only affected Datastore1 which is no longer visible through the VSphere Client.  It still requires the 4.1 Vsphere client to connect and our security scanner (Nessus) still shows the server as version 4.1.

If I run the upgrade a second time, will Datastore2 be upgraded to 5.1?  If not, what do I need to do to upgrade Datastore2?  Have not been able to locate any documentation about having multiple datastores on 1 ESXi server.

Suggestions/Assistance appreciated.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - So you upgraded you standalone ESXi host 5.1 - how are the datastores connected to the ESXi host - are they connected through the same HD/RAID controller?

When you connect to the ESXi host with the vSphere client and look at the configuration tab of host - what verions of ESXi does it show as running?

ABy default the VMFS datastores do not upgraded to VMFS5 as part of an upgrade - they are upgraded manually after the host is upgraded.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
gerltl
Contributor
Contributor

Datastores connected with same adaptor

Config tab licensed features only shows ESXi 4

Only Datastore2 shows - vmfs3

Not much experience with product - will have to lookup "manually upgrade VMFS datastores - thought running the 5.1 install disk completed all tasks for upgrading stand alone ESXi Hypervisor.

Bodsda
Contributor
Contributor

So you had a host running ESXi 4.1 with 2 datastores, ran an upgrade of the host and now you can only see the second datastore?

Are there any VM's running on this missing datastore?

Can you be a bit more specific about how the datastores are connected and what they are? e.g NAS/SAN, iSCSI/Fibre

If you select the host, go to the configuration tab, select storage from the list on the left hand side and then click 'Rescan All' in the top right, does that find your missing datastore?

The install that you ran would have upgraded the hypervisor, but not the filesystem used on the datastores. You can right click a datastore and select the option to upgrade it to VMFS5

Thanks,

Bodsda

gerltl
Contributor
Contributor

Yes - had an ESXi 4.1 host with 2 datastores.  Ran an ISO to upgrade to 5.1 Am now only able to see second datastore.

First datastore did not contain any hosts.  All are on datastore2.

Storage is local - when check Storage Adapters under Configuration, all are connected via ServerRaid M5015 SAS.SATA Controller which shows three items.

Name: Local IBM Disk, Runtime Name: vmhha2:C2:T1:LO, LUN 0, 

Name: Local IBM Disk, Runtime Name: vmhha2:C2:T0:LO, LUN 0,

Name: Local IBM-ESX5 Enclosure, Runtime Name: vmhha2:C2:T18:LO, LUN 0, - no capacity (management device)

When I right click on Datastore2, I do not get the option to upgrade to 5 and it shows as a Type vmfs3

0 Kudos
Bodsda
Contributor
Contributor

Enable SSH on the host -- Select host > Configuration tab > Software section on the left, select Security Profile > Properties link on the top right > Find and start the SSH service

Log into the host as the root account, using something like putty and run this to confirm the version of ESXi

vmware --version

Check if you can see the second datastore on the filesystem

ls /vmfs/volumes/

Thanks,

Bodsda

0 Kudos
gerltl
Contributor
Contributor

~ # vmware --version

VMware ESXi 4.1.0 build-800380

~ # ls /vmfs/volumes/

14195070-ed7e82cc-2a7a-9b7a05b7aab3  Hypervisor2

3c3693e8-f77a642a-1910-5c6bdcb26d3a  Hypervisor3

4d2d8ab4-aed7c5f6-7fa4-e41f13e66732  c6e80179-00cf8d45-162f-7a328e54dac0

4d2d8b36-581860ae-033d-e41f13e66732  datastore2

Hypervisor1

Does not show upgarded to 5.1, not sure how to interpret results of ls /vmfs/volumes/

0 Kudos
Bodsda
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thats weird - are you sure you upgraded the host?

Lets see if theres more than 1 version of ESXi installed. Can you ssh again and run this

find / -name boot.cfg -exec grep build {} \;

Thanks,

Bodsda

0 Kudos
gerltl
Contributor
Contributor

Does not return any info.

~ # find /-name boot.cfg -exec grep build{}\

>

find: -exec CMD must end by ';'

~ # find/-name boot.cfg -exec grep build{}\

>

-ash: find/-name: not found

~ # find/-name boot.cfg -exec grep build {} \

>

-ash: find/-name: not found

~ #

Attempted the iso upgrade again this morning.   I was presented with both datastores, could only choose one.  Selected DS2.   After the force upgrade message, I got a message that I had to 3rd party vibs with no similar vib on the iso.  coppied down the name and backed out of upgrade.  Third party vibs were oem-vmware-esx-drivers-net-vx83 and oem-vmware-esx-drivers-scsi-3w-9xxx.

Would appear each DS must be upgraded separately.  Before upgrading DS2, will need to research the 3rd party vibs.   I have two non-Microsoft hosts running on some type of linux - an IP360 OVF and and Nessus OVF.  Hardware is an IBM 3550 M2 - drivers look to me like they are hardware specific, yet I have done one other upgrade on a 4.1 system with same hardware and guests and did not recieve that message.  Sugestions? Ideas?

0 Kudos
Bodsda
Contributor
Contributor

In the first command your missing a space between 'build' and '{}' and another one between '{}' and '\' and it also needs to be ended with a semicolon ';'

I'm not really understanding what your saying about the upgrade asking about datastores - could you post a screenshot, or attempt the upgrade via update manager?

Thanks,

Bodsda

0 Kudos
gerltl
Contributor
Contributor

~ # find / -name boot.cfg -exec grep build {} \;

build=4.1.0-800380

build=4.1.0-502767

getting screen shot will have to wait till Monday morning, using stand alone hypervisor, have to use iso

0 Kudos
Bodsda
Contributor
Contributor

Ok no worries.

The command you ran confirms that theres no weird dual boot issue, you haven't got for example both 4.1 and 5.1 installed.

It also confirms that the upgrade(s) haven't been successful

Thank,

Bodsda

0 Kudos