VMware Cloud Community
BreathOfIT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1st ESXi install will not connect to the network

I have used VMware Fusion and several versions of Workstation. I am an IT student and I am trying to set up a virtual server environment for learning purposes.

I first installed ESXi with-in Workstation computer on my laptop. I freaking LOVED IT. I ran to the store bought a fresh HDD to install ESXi for my old Supermicro server (MBD-PDSMA+-O LGA). During the install I got a warning that Intel Virtualization support was turned off on my motherboard. I turned that on then restarted the install. No matter what I try I can not get the darn thing to obtain an address from my DHCP server. I even tried unpluging my router and using several computers on my network as DHCP servers. Each one I tried my whole network received fresh IP address yet my supermicro box did not. I tried using both network ports, port 0 alone and port 1 alone. After wasting about 24 hours I tried installing 5.0.0 and it worked right without issue. I would like to be able to update to the latest versions without being worried my network connection is going to die on me when I do.

Ideas?

My next issue is going to be storage because not even my JABOD disks show up from my RocketRaid 2220 and PCI passthrough doesn't seem to be an option for that card. Yep that's right PCI-X baby... Say what you want about RocketRaid, that card was sitting in the bottom of a cardboard box full of wires with no static case for a couple years through 3-4 moves and it's still working like a champ.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mfan51
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same problem with a similar supermicro motherboard which has the same Intel Lan adapter as yours.  Using the e1000 drivers from 5.0 worked for me.  I followed the directions in this thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/2115391#2115391

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello ... Nice to see your enthousiasm for VMware Smiley Happy

I understand you want to try and install VMware 5.0/5.1 on some older hardware you have available... Did you check the VMware Compatibility Guide?

VMware is very particular about the hardware it supports ... Sometimes things work and one is lucky, but most of the time it needs to be on the list.

You can check it out here: http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility

0 Kudos
mfan51
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same problem with a similar supermicro motherboard which has the same Intel Lan adapter as yours.  Using the e1000 drivers from 5.0 worked for me.  I followed the directions in this thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/2115391#2115391

0 Kudos
BreathOfIT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there any way you could give me a little more detail on how to actually do this? I see the command line text but what do I need to do to get to that point? Do I need the old drivers on a disk some how? I'm not upgrading to 5.1 I'm doing a totally fresh install of 5.1 and I'm very very new at this system.

0 Kudos
mfan51
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1st step would be to enable ssh, so you can access the command line.  From your console, the option to enable ssh will be under "Troubleshooting Options".

2nd step would be to get the 5.0 update file "ESXi500-201207001.zip".  I don't have a link, but search for the 5.0 patches.    The update file has the e1000 drivers that you need.  You can use the vsphere client to upload the file - Under the configuration tab and then under storage, you can right click one of your data stores to browse it.  From there, you can upload the file.  I just put it in datastore1.

3rd step would be to ssh into your server.  putty is a open source ssh client you can easily find on the internet.     From the ssh session you would execute the commands.  You may need to provide the full path to the zip file.  I put it in datastore1, so for me the commands are:

esxcli software vib install -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/ESXi500-201207001.zip -n net-e1000e
esxcli software vib install -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/ESXi500-201207001.zip -n net-e1000

Good Luck