VMware Cloud Community
dkarakasa
Contributor
Contributor

1Physical CPU w/ 2~4 independent VM's (1Monitor each)

Good Day to All,

The Title may not be the right thing [can you suggest a better title?] but anyways,

I'm planning to build a cheap 'whitebox' ESXi 5 with the ff:

● an Intel H61 mobo [or any H61 mobo with realtek 8111e LAN]

● a lower end Sandy Proc [pentium or celeron]

● 2x 4Gb RAM

● 1x Video Card [either ati 5570 or nvidia gt430 or any dual display capable VC]

Question #1:

Can I use the above setup (host ESXi) and plug in 2monitors (connected to 1VC), 2keyboards, 2mice, 2usb soundcards and Run 2VM's that is independent of each other?

[i.e. 1vm that will exclusively use 1monitor, 1keyboard, 1mouse, 1usb soundcard]

if Question #1 is 'doable'

Question #2: Can I do it with 4monitors (2monitors connected to 1VC each), 2VC, 4keyboards, 4mice, 4usb soundcards and run 4VM's that is independent of each other? [note: proc will be upgraded to i5 and mobo will be upgraded also to support dual pci-e slots]

Question #3: do I need VT-d for Questions #1 and/or Question #2?

bytheway..., each VM Guest will be either Windows XP or Windows 7

My plan is to provide this kind of setup for a local school here in our place [for doing some basic office works, surfing and facebook/facebook gaming].

Recommendations and/or suggestions is highly appreciated.

thanks and best regards,

dkarakasa

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SCMHenry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The short answer to your "Question 1" is NO.

VMware ESXi does not provide access to any of the VMs via local console devices.

sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

agree with scmhenry

the only output the esxi host gives on a console is the ability to configure basic setup and troubleshooting options for the host itself.

any work on a vm needs to be done from a seperate machine connecting to this machine from ethernet via the vmware client software

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
dkarakasa
Contributor
Contributor

ok thanks, I really thought that it is possible...

I'll just use VMWare Player for this.

Thanks to all.

0 Kudos