VMware Cloud Community
JBelthoff
Contributor
Contributor

1Gb ISCSi vs Local SATA for Small ESXi 6 Lab

Hi folks,

I recently built a new small lab server because my old Pentium server machine is getting to be 14 years old. I still works like a champ!

Because I already own a RadyNas 314, I did not install any Local SATA disks in the new machine. Also both my new server motherboard and the ReasyNas has dual 1Gb ports for plenty of throughput and both machines are on the same physical switch.

After some testing with multiple VM's running using ISCSi as the only Storage Adapter I noticed quite a load on the ReadyNas processor and I'm thinking maybe I should install some local SATA HDD's because I have 6 unused SATA 6 ports on the motherboard and I am using the ReadyNas for other things outside of this setup.

My current test indicate that I am getting about 100MB/s write speeds on the current setup.

One caveat here is that with the exception of 1 VM, which will serv as my home Win2008 R2 network domain controller which always remain on, the rest of the machine resources will be used for computer programming development and can be turned off when not in use.

Here is my hardware:

• Xeon E3 1276 V3
  • Supermicro X10SLH-F
  • 16GB ECC Ram

I would appreciate if anyone can give me some guidance on performance and workloads of using local, (consumer grade like WD Blue), SATA HDD's for the ESXi Storage Adpaters or if I even need them.

Thanks,

JB

0 Kudos
0 Replies