VMware Cloud Community
rubeeliqbal
Contributor
Contributor

10gbe and Issues

I am having alot of issues with new hardware we got

I got new DL980s with 10gbe cards (550SFP), I have them running the latest driver and firmware,

Here is the issue i am having, I have a VDS setup with LACP, enabled with route and IP hash teaming.

My current cluster QA has old hosts with 5.1. They have copper 1gb for VMotion running x.x.44.61 IP, it can ping the new 980s VMotion nics on the 10gbe host A x.x.44.37 and Host B x.x.44.39.

But the new hosts cannot ping any vmotion IPs on other hosts even the x.x.44.61., there are many more in the cluster but this is just simplify the issue. this is some how related to 10gbe and the way network is setup

So can ping

x.x.44.61 --> x.x.44.37, x.x.44.39

but cannot

x.x.44.37 --> x.x.44.39

x.x.44.37 --> x.x.44.61

x.x.44.39 --> x.x.44.37

x.x.44.39 --> x.x.44.61

I ran a dump and all i see is that the new 980s cant resolve ARP requests, they keep asking for who owns 37 or 39 or 61, which the switch has the information. The network guys showed me the switch information and the arp table and they have the mac for 37/39/61.

I am starting to lose my mind. the 980s are running 5.1, they are all HP VSphere Installs. I cant think of all the information right now but ask questions so i can clarify. The switches are nexus switch and 6509 behind them. the Vmotion network is plain layer 2 vlan.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
GMCON
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So for clarification are all hosts, old and new, on the same VDS?  Are all physical connections hooked up to the same switch?

0 Kudos
rubeeliqbal
Contributor
Contributor

yes they are on the same vds, been working with vmware and could not figure out a solution, we ended up removing the vds and using 1 10gbe on a vswitch with the vlan but still cannot ping.

very odd behavior

0 Kudos
rubeeliqbal
Contributor
Contributor

bumping this, anyone has any idea ? working with support has not been very productive.

0 Kudos