VMware Cloud Community
fpmccoy
Contributor
Contributor

10GB Network Cards not recognized by ESXi 6.0 host

I am installing ESXi 6.0 on 6 Dell PowerEdge R440's  They all have 2 default onboard 1GB nics installed as well as Broadcom 57412 Dual Port 10GB SFP+ PCIe Adapter and Broadcom 57416 Dual Port 10 GB E BaseT Network LOM Mezz Card.  Both are on the HCL for this version of ESXi.

After installing 6.0 on the hardware, I went in to configure the network and the only NICs I see are the onboard 1GB nics.  From vCenter all I can see are the 2 onboard nics.  I thought maybe it was a Driver issue  so I researched and found the vib file from VM to install the driver on my host.  When I run the esxcli software vib command, it returned that it skipped the vib for the driver.

I run lspci and I find all 6 nic's in the list.  I run esxcli network nic list, but only see the 2 onboard nics.  If I go into my vCenter, I can find the additional 4 cards when I go to the host\Manage\ Hardware\PCI Devices and Edit PCI Device Availability, but that enables passthrough so that the VM's can directly access the ports, but that is not what I want.  I want them in the vSwitch so all VM's use those ports instead of the 1GB ports.

Any suggestions\help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you use the latest Dell customized installation image?

ESXi 6.0 Update3 Build Number 10474991

Dell Version-A13

Dell Release Date: 2nd November, 2018

VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.0.0.update03-10474991.x86_64-DellEMC_Customized_A13.iso

If you did, which driver/version did you try to install?

André

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

We your're using an old ESXi version?

A recent Dell Custom ISO for 6.5/6.7 will support this nic for sure. If you dont wont to use a Dell Custom ISO iam sure thatn in the the Driver&Tool section on vmware.com for 6.0 you'll find a driver too.

Try https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=DT-ESXI60-BROADCOM-BNXTNET-2120930&productI...  and report.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
fpmccoy
Contributor
Contributor

I know that it is 6.0 Update 3, and I know it is for Dell.  I cannot swear to it being the most recent as I can only use software that goes through our software testing facility before it goes onto our live network.  as for the driver version, I got permission to get the VIB file straight from VMware.  I went the VMware compatibility site, searched for the version I had and then went to their download and got the VMware ESXi6.0 bnxtnet 20.8.15.2.0 NIC Driver for Broadcom NetXtreme-C/E BCM5731x/BCM5741x Network Controller.  I have no doubts at all that I have the correct driver, and that driver as it turns out is already in the image I installed.  I am able to see all of the NIC's in the passthrough setup

Passthrough.JPG

But I am unable to see them to add them in the VMNetwork

Network.JPG

0 Kudos
fpmccoy
Contributor
Contributor

IRIX201110141,

The link you posted is exactly where I got my vib file from VMware

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Hmm.... can you go to VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search and check the PCIID of the card please? This is how ESXi assigns the driver to it.

- 3 Years ago Broadcom sold part the the NIC business to Qlogic and some weird renaming starts

- After 6.0 there comes 6.5.0 - 6.5.0u3 followed by 6.7.0 and one year later 6.7u1

I have serveral dozens of 14Gen Dell Servers and some of these have the 57412 as well and they works with a more modern Dell Custom ISO.

Hmmm HCL listet Dell and BCM entries for the card:

VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
Hanson2020
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmware.PNG

0 Kudos
as0788
Contributor
Contributor

I do not know if you have solved it, but as I see your cards are not compatible but with the ESXi version 6.5 u2.

Add link

https://ceritaheboh.co/download/401567-Last-Updated-April-28-2019-I-O-Compatibility-Guide.html

0 Kudos