VMware Cloud Community
ideohyperic
Contributor
Contributor

1 vm cannot see network

Hi,

I have a weird problem. My esxi host has 3 vms. 2 servers and 1 windows xp that is a p2v. It worked fine for a while and now, for whatever reason, my XP only sees the host and other VMs on the host. I cannot ping the normal network (firewall, other physical servers stations, etc...). So I reinstalled vmware tools, reinstalled network card with default options, nothing works. I can only see stuff that is on the esxi, nothing beyond.

Anyone has an idea?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
akshunj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How is your host and physical network configured? The only thing I can think of is an etherchannel problem on the physical switch, such as a link suspended from the portgroup. However, I'm not sure if you are using etherchannel.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Another though what you should check on the physical switches is whether port security is enabled on the uplink ports. Port security usually allows only up to two MAC addresses on the same port. Depending on your configuration the switch ports should be configured as access or 802.1Q ports.

André

0 Kudos
akshunj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's a good idea and I agree as my port security is configured to allow up to a dozen MACs.

0 Kudos
ideohyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Hi André,

Thanks for your suggestions. The switchs over there are std, and default configuration. Another info I have is that the first time this happened, 1 of my tech just did a remove from domain, and join domain from the virtual XP and it worked (odd). We are trying the same procedure just for fun. I don't see anything relevant in this solution but it seems to work, but temporarily. I'll post back when I have development. If you have any other ideas, I'll be happy to read them.

Thanks again

0 Kudos