VMware Cloud Community
felakkad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1 VM with 3 vmdk in different datastore : Datastore Migration for rename

Hi,

I am here today for asking you your help please.

In our organisation , we have 1 Big VM

1 vmdk =>  The OS in SAS lun for performance

1 vmdka => 1 Tera on SATA lun Only DATA

Another 1 vmdka => 1 Tera on SATA lun Only DATA

This VM was in test and we need to rename it for the production name.

When you rename in vcenter you need to do an datastore migration to fix all the file with the new name.

In this case how can we do to specify each VMDK to go in specified Datastore during the migration ?

Because we can pu every think in the same datastore because of the 2Tera limitation by a datastore

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

when you "migrate" a VM and choose "Change Datastore" use the Advanced option. This will allow you to specify multiple datastore destinations. In the [Current Location] use the drop down arrow.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JHakimi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What storage are you using??? iSCSI, NFS or FC?

I think you are confusing the naming of the VM and the Datastoere.  2 Seperate things.  If you storage vmotion to a new datastore, this will not change the name, just the location of the files.

The VM name can be renamed in vCenter without issues.  The folder on the datastore where the VMs files are stored, will not reflect the new name, but everything will still function without issue and the new production name will be reflected in vCenter.

If you are using iSCSI, you can bypass the 2TB limitation by attaching the LUNs directly to the guest via the iscsi initiatior in windows.

Typically you want to keep your OS vmdk and your data vmdk on seperate tiers of storage so I need more info on why you want to combine them.

With the introduction of vSphere 5 and VMFS5, you can go beyond that 2TB limit.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

when you "migrate" a VM and choose "Change Datastore" use the Advanced option. This will allow you to specify multiple datastore destinations. In the [Current Location] use the drop down arrow.

0 Kudos
felakkad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry,

I wrothe only LUN i didn't presise FC disque.

Anyway the seconde response answer to my probleme, i try and it works perfect the advanced option.

Thanks a lot guys !!!

0 Kudos