VMware Cloud Community
roofus_143
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1 VM guest, 2 separate .vdk's, each .vdk on different SAN chassis?

Our SAN has two chassis', one with slow disks, one with fast disks.   I have a VM that I want to put the O/S on the fast chassis, and the user data on the slow chassis.   What are my risks?  Is this typically against "best practice".  The vm in question is merely a file share server for about 500 users.

Any thoughts and feedback is appreciated.

Rob

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - No risks - many organizations are deploying SANs as different tiers of storage to handle exactly what you are doing - slower disk for things like O/S or systems that are not disk intensive versus high disk I/O appls like SQL servers - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - No risks - many organizations are deploying SANs as different tiers of storage to handle exactly what you are doing - slower disk for things like O/S or systems that are not disk intensive versus high disk I/O appls like SQL servers - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos