VMware Cloud Community
Byteworks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are the ESXi APIs enabled?

I'm thinking of switching my 8-node Raspberry Pi home lab to the ESXi-Arm Fling so I can play with Rancher Server and Terraform. The Rancher Server site says "The free ESXi license does not support API access. The vSphere servers must have a valid or evaluati...." 

Does this mean the VMWare ESXi-Arm Fling will or won't work with the Rancher Server? 

I blog about my Raspberry Pi home lab here: https://smitchell.github.io/ 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
vmrale
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

I've never checked this but I suspect it's true when you plan to use free ESXi license. However, it's still possible to use vSphere on 180 days evaluation license. Be careful, because after this period you will have to reinstall ESXi hosts or provide a valid license.

Regards
Radek

If you think your question have been answered correctly, please consider marking it as a solution or rewarding me with kudos.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
cyprienlaplace
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The full sentence reads: "The free ESXi license does not support API access. The vSphere servers must have a valid or evaluation ESXi license."

ESXi-Arm comes with a 180-days evaluation license, so the APIs should be available during that duration.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
vmrale
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

I've never checked this but I suspect it's true when you plan to use free ESXi license. However, it's still possible to use vSphere on 180 days evaluation license. Be careful, because after this period you will have to reinstall ESXi hosts or provide a valid license.

Regards
Radek

If you think your question have been answered correctly, please consider marking it as a solution or rewarding me with kudos.
0 Kudos
cyprienlaplace
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The full sentence reads: "The free ESXi license does not support API access. The vSphere servers must have a valid or evaluation ESXi license."

ESXi-Arm comes with a 180-days evaluation license, so the APIs should be available during that duration.

Byteworks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah, sounds like it will complicate my life as I plan to operate my home lab indefinitely. On the other hand, 180-days would give me plenty of time to take a deep dive into Terraform, and afterward, I would still be able to use Rancher and Terraform to spin up temporary clusters in the cloud. Can you hear me talking myself into it? 

Byteworks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think I will give it a try. I'm going to pick up some new 8-GB Raspberri Pis to use for the ESXi-Arm Fling. If I manage to get it working (always a question with me), then I'll migrate the rest of the cluster and play with it for 180-days. 

Thank you for the quick response.

cyprienlaplace
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

In the worst case you only need to reinstall ESXi-Arm to have another 180 days evaluation license.

But please note that ESXi-Arm is not a product.

0 Kudos
cyprienlaplace
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Have fun 😄

0 Kudos
Byteworks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Understood. Once I've learned what I want to learn about VSphere and Terraform, and I have Rancher Server scripts to deploy to the Cloud, it will be easier to rebuild the cluster with Ubuntu ARM 64 and not mess with renewing ESXi-Arm Fling licenses. Still, it is a great opportunity to use VSphere in my home lab, which is important since I have clients that use VSphere.

0 Kudos
vmrale
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ESXi-Arm fling is a hot topic these days. 🙂

Look at this very fresh article written by William Lam:

https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2020/12/esxi-arm-licensing-options.html

Regards
Radek

0 Kudos