VMware Cloud Community
ThomasYung
Contributor
Contributor

vSAN witness on rPI4 ESXI-ARM fails to deploy

I apologize if this is not the ideal board for this discussion but at the time of writing all esxi-arm community pages return 404. I have been trying to deploy a vSAN two node cluster using two standard x86 servers (esxi 7.0) and Raspberry Pi 4 as a witness. I am running into issues deploying the witness aspect of vSAN.

After using the cluster quickstart wizard to configure vSAN, the two data nodes claim their disks and show as "reconfiguring" as expected. The datastore is created and is accessible to each host. However, the witness configuration fails with a relatively vague error.
Update, this is the exact error: 

General vSAN error. (vmodl.fault.ManagedObjectNotFound) { msg = '', faultCause = <unset>, faultMessage = (vmodl.LocalizableMessage) [], obj = 'vim.host.VsanHealthSystem:ha-vsan-health-system' }

On the rPI4, the vpxa.log gives the following messages at the time of deployment. The vSAN secret and UUID has been removed.
[VpxLRO] -- BEGIN lro-7015 -- vsanSystem -- vim.host.VsanSystem.fetchVsanSharedSecret -- 
[Originator@6876 sub=vpxLro opID=PollQuickStatsLoop-73cbac2a-80] [VpxLRO] -- BEGIN lro-7016 -- vpxa -- vpxapi.VpxaService.fetchQuickStats --
[Originator@6876 sub=vpxLro opID=PollQuickStatsLoop-73cbac2a-80] [VpxLRO] -- FINISH lro-7016
 [Originator@6876 sub=vpxaInvtHost opID=WFU-b223d50 update=8930] Increment master gen. no to (505): HostChanged|configManager.networkSystem:networkInfo.pnic["key-vim.host.PhysicalNic-vmnic128"].fcoeConfiguration.capabilities.vlanRange
 [Originator@6876 sub=PropertyCache opID=WFU-74e754e5 update=8931] Failed to diff ha-host:network, had ManagedObjectReference[], got ManagedObjectReference[]

vCenter logs show the following error: "vmodl.fault.ManagedObjectNotFound"

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Tried to move the topic to ESXI-ARM for you, but it doesn't work. No idea why the above doesn't work, never tested it myself.

0 Kudos
ThomasYung
Contributor
Contributor

Depping, can you suggest somewhere else to look for help with this issue? I'm still unable to reach the esxi-arm pages and there doesn't seem to be much of a response here. 

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

you could try to ask William on his blog:

https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2020/10/vsan-witness-using-raspberry-pi-4-esxi-arm-fling.html

Again, all of this is highly unsupported. I haven't even tried it myself to be honest.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ThomasYung What version of the ESXi-Arm are you using? Can you also confirm the version of ESXi-x86 and vCenter Server? Is this using VSS or VDS? There was a report from another user who was attempting this with latest version of ESXi-Arm but they ran into completely different error and I've not had time to try this again using the latest version, so not sure if this is expected or not. If you can share more details about the build/setup, that would be helpful

0 Kudos
ThomasYung
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi-ARM: VMware ESXi, 7.0.0, 17068872 , rRi 4 8GB

2x x86 Hosts: VMware ESXi, 7.0.1, 17119627

vCenter: VMware ESXi, 7.0.1, 17119627

All hosts using VDS, though I did try again with the Pi in a separate VSS.

0 Kudos
rob271
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue. Was anyone able to resolve this?

0 Kudos
brtlvrs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The issue is that the ESXi version of the VSAN nodes is not the same as the witness node.
Because ESXi-arm is version 7.0.0 (there is no other version I guess), the VSAN data nodes need to run the same version.

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.
0 Kudos
brtlvrs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've just tested it in my homelab. Using ESXi 7.0 GA on the data nodes works with esxi-arm 7.0.0 as a VSAN witness.

Using ESXi 7.0.1 doesn't work on the data nodes...

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.
0 Kudos