VMware Cloud Community
RickyJay78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ubuntu 22.04 on ESXi 7.0 RPi install not working

Hello all,

I have a current installation running Ubuntu 20.10 and since I am unable to update, I am trying to install a new VM with 22.04. However, when I run run the new VM with the ISO image (ubuntu-22.04-live-server-arm64.iso), it shows the initial menu, where I can Try or install but after selecting this and enter, the screen just flashes and goes black. The installation never starts.

I have provisioned 2048 MB memory, 30 GB hard drive, and tried with 1 and 2 CPUs.

What am I missing ?

Has anyone successfully installed 22.04 on ESXi 7.0 Fling ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RickyJay78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solved.

I reinstalled with the latest version and now Ubuntu 22.04 can be installed as a VM.

One thing that was very nice was that during the installation of ESXI it recognised my datastore and kept it intact. That was so nice. I was worried that I had to reinstall all my VMs. I did make backups and hoped I could restore, but there was no need. All my VMs came back up.

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 Replies
cyprienlaplace
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, are you using the latest fling version v1.9?

It contains a fix for recent kernels: "VMM support for ID_AA64ISAR2_EL2, fixing VM crashes with newer Linux kernels (>= 5.17-rc2)"

If you are, can you get the vmware.log and send it over? thanks!

0 Kudos
RickyJay78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you cyprienlaplace for the quick reply. No I am not using the latest, and actually I am using the initial release, I think.

Client version:1.34.0
Client build number:16965903
ESXi version:7.0.0
ESXi build number:16966451

So I will figure out how to update without damaging my VMs now and see if I can install Ubuntu 22.04 after.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RickyJay78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, I can see I cannot upgrade, but have to make a complete new installation. Before I do this I would like to know if have something wrong, or it it is something that an upgrade will solve.

I have attached the log file.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
RickyJay78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solved.

I reinstalled with the latest version and now Ubuntu 22.04 can be installed as a VM.

One thing that was very nice was that during the installation of ESXI it recognised my datastore and kept it intact. That was so nice. I was worried that I had to reinstall all my VMs. I did make backups and hoped I could restore, but there was no need. All my VMs came back up.

Thanks