VMware Cloud Community
MattEvans
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Trouble entering Setup

Trying to build my first ESXi Raspberry Pi 4 (8gb) host but hit an issue. I have prepared the SD card and when I boot the Pi and need to hit ESC to enter the Setup the keyboard isn't working, I have tried two different ones. If I change the SD card and boot to the Pi OS the keyboard works fine but it isn't powering up during the boot process therefore I can't get into setup. Has anyone else seen this, how did you fix it?

Update: I have rebuilt the SD Card and I don't know if it fixed the keyboard issue as the Pi now just sits on the multi-coloured screen (photo attached). I followed the instructions on how to build the SD from here > https://www.servethehome.com/getting-started-with-vmware-esxi-on-arm-with-a-raspberry-pi/ 

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
3 Replies
arizona_smith
Contributor
Contributor

I am having that exact same issue, it works on a raspi 4 4GB, but not on the 8.  I just got another 8GB and same issue. I am using a Logitech mouse and keyboard with wireless usb plugged into the raspi.

I am looking for help as well, as this is something that I need to get up and running.

0 Kudos
MattEvans
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

arizona_smith, I have engaged with the Flings team and it may be an issue with the latest EEPROM update from Raspberry Pi. They are helping me with the issue and as soon as I have any updates I'll let you know.

0 Kudos
MattEvans
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have mine working. I downloaded the firmware and UEFI firmware as per the Fling PDF and didn't make any changes to the config.txt file. I also started with a fresh SD card and it worked for me. PDF attached for your reference.

0 Kudos