VMware Cloud Community
Apex2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Samsung FIT Plus USB 3.1 Flash Drive 128GB Issue during install

Is there an issue with using Samsung FIT Plus USB 3.1 Flash Drive 128GB - (MUF-128AB/AM) to install Esxi 7 Arm fling?

I have tried using it for the install and tired using it for a DataStore and it always fails…. I have 5 of them and they all fail to install or create VMFS system for datastore.

I use anything else and it works fine.  I even used a old 8gb flash drive from 2005 and it works… but these brand new Samsung FIT Plus USB 3.1 Flash Drive 128GB - (MUF-128AB/AM) refuse to work.

Are there any known issue??

Is there a list of support flashdrive to use for install or Datastore for ESXi 7 ARM Fling?

FYI - Yes I know flash drives are not officially support.... but it works... i'am I running into a issue were it doesn't work for certain flash drives? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cyprienlaplace
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Unfortunately the USB support is not perfect, and some devices have issues with the ESXi on Arm Fling.

There are a few tested references in the fling documentation.

I also commented on another post: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/ESXi-Arm-Fling-Discussions/USB-datastore-disappears-after-trying-t...

View solution in original post

7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

The second instance you created in the {code} area has been archived.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Apex2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@scott28tt I made two because I didn't know which forum it should officially be in.  So I placed it in the 2 best places I felt would get the most visibility to get this question answered.

0 Kudos
cyprienlaplace
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Unfortunately the USB support is not perfect, and some devices have issues with the ESXi on Arm Fling.

There are a few tested references in the fling documentation.

I also commented on another post: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/ESXi-Arm-Fling-Discussions/USB-datastore-disappears-after-trying-t...

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The {code} area is for the various SDKs, so that definitely was not the right place. Regardless, just a single thread will do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Apex2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@cyprienlaplace 

Yeah I figured that.... interesting you mention the Samsung FIT https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7SX9NS. working for you.. That's the exact same one I'm having and issue with.  I'm going to pick up some PNY today and see how that works out for me.  

Thank for providing some insight and being helpful instead of a traffic cop #RealG.O.A.T 

0 Kudos
cyprienlaplace
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I only have the OS installed on the 32 GB samsung one, and VMs are running from NFS datastore. It has been running for 24 days like this without issues.

0 Kudos
Apex2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@cyprienlaplace 

Yeah I was trying to do the same and got no joy... Just bought (4) SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB 2.0 Flash Drives from Walmart and everything is working great now..

The only downside is i'm plugging into a USB 3.0 port on my Raspberry Pi 4 and the Flash Drives are USB 2.0 =(. Not gonna B!t&h too much since this is only a cheap lab environment and hopefully soon I'll upgrade to a Synology NAS to play around with ISCSI/NFS or a new version to ARM Fling will be released with some cool updates. 

Once again thanks for the help.

Theodore R. Pritchett // Sr. Migration Engineer, PS Migration CoE| Pure Storage, Inc.

0 Kudos