VMware Cloud Community
VPI4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Raspberry Pi 4 - Windows Server 2019 VMware ESXi 7

Preface: This is my first post here as a beginner with VMware. I recently purchased a Raspberry Pi 4 (8gb) and was looking into some of the capabilities but have hit a few snags.

Goal: Setup a Windows 2019 server VM in VMware ESXi on Arm Fling.

I setup ESXi to run on my Raspberry Pi 4. I can access the VMware instance via IP no problem. I can see the Datastore (USB drive connected to Raspberry Pi) which I uploaded the ISO to, which was downloaded from Microsoft using their Evaluation option for Windows server 2019. I can successfully create the VM with the relevant selections (Compatibility ESXi 7.0 virtual machine - Guest OS family Windows, Guest OS version Microsoft Windows Server 2019 (64 bit)) default selections after that, except that I replace the option for CD/DVD Drive 1: to the Datastore ISO file and browse to the ISO file on the USB. After finishing out the initial creation process, the VM is created successfully. I power on the VM and the VM immediately begins to attempt to boot via >>Start PXE over IPv4. PXE booting fails, and ends up booting to BIOS.

Expectations were to reach the splash screen just after powering on the VM to configure the Windows 2019 server from there. Curious if people have seen this insdide or outside of the Pi environment and/or have suggestions on where to dive in further.

After several forums, videos, etc. things I've considered:

-In related videos for setting up alternative servers/vm's, one individual that mentioned that you need ISO's meant for the ARM architecture (maybe this is the sole problem and it's a show stopper).

-Checked that the ISO file is bootable
-Checked that the ISO is set to connect at power on
-Attempted same operation using a standard Win 10 ISO
-Attempted using the VHD download instead of an ISO

When I look through the boot manager, the only choices are 

EFI DVD/CDROM  

EFI Network

EFI Network 1

EFI Internal Shell

Let me know where I need to add clarity to this post, happy to answer questions that can lead me down the correct path.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cyprienlaplace
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, there is no Windows Server 2019 for arm64, the processor architecture for the Raspberry Pi 4. And ESXi Arm fling does not emulate the x86/x64 instruction set architecture.

And today you cannot run Windows 10 for Arm64 on the ESXi Arm fling.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@VPI4 

Moderator: Please try and create a thread in the area for the product used - moved to ESXi-Arm Fling Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
cyprienlaplace
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, there is no Windows Server 2019 for arm64, the processor architecture for the Raspberry Pi 4. And ESXi Arm fling does not emulate the x86/x64 instruction set architecture.

And today you cannot run Windows 10 for Arm64 on the ESXi Arm fling.

0 Kudos
VPI4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the assist, as it happens, I did look for the appropriate section to no avail.

0 Kudos
VPI4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, makes sense. I'll keep an eye out for any future beta functionality supporting that.

cyprienlaplace
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sure! thanks.

0 Kudos
miguelmsa1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi! I was trying to achieve the same goal as the mate, to use a VM windows in a ESXi on ARM Fling host installed in my RPi4.

Could be possible to make it works using an image of W10 for ARM64 (like used for their install on the same RPi)? 

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
cyprienlaplace
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

W10 for ARM64 is not supported on ESXi-Arm Fling at the moment. The VM will exit shortly after being powered on.