VMware Cloud Community
yk24slb
Contributor
Contributor

Pink screen error

Screenshot 2022-05-09 12-11-40.pngScreenshot 2022-05-09 12-26-25.pngMay I ask whether the errors in these two diagrams are hardware errors, software errors, or other faults

0 Kudos
4 Replies
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi @yk24slb 

This pink screen is called purple screen of death (PSOD). The issue is not hardware related. You enabled secure boot however one installed vib has a bad signature. To resolve this issue you need to follow https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2147606

Please mark as solved, when this answered your question.

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This isn't on ARM hardware such as a Raspberry Pi though is it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
pkvmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@scott28tt This isn't on ARM hardware for sure, as there's no ESXi 6.7.

@yk24slb 

To answer your question: PSODs can be both, hardware and software-related. Sometimes it's possible to guess the reason just from reading through the stacktrace and which components are involved, otherwise usually further internal analysis are required - which requires you to file a SR.

So as you can see in the screenshots the PSOD is caused by a malfunctioning driver, aacraid to be specific. When reading from bottom to top, you can see the code functions it travels through which lead to the PSOD being triggered. That's the driver for your storage controller/hardware RAID controller.

I'd suggest to check the HCL and ensure you have the correct driver and firmware combination installed - see https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=io. Such PSOD can also occur due to mismatching driver and firmware combination.

In any case it would probably make sense to re-install the driver nonetheless. According to the message ESXi can't verify the signature of the "scsi-aacraid" driver. So either there's no signature (which sometimes isn't), or maybe the driver VIB is simply corrupt.

If assistance from VMware is required, ensure you have a full core dump available and raise a SR for this for further analysis. But usually you might get redirect to your hardware vendor after, as driver/firmware are developed and supported from them.

Regards,
Patrik

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Expect a moderator to move your thread to the regular ESXi area, since this isn't on ARM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos