VMware Cloud Community
MartinaT
Contributor
Contributor

PREEMPT_RT on a VM hosted by ESXi

Hello,
has someone ever successfully installed the linux PREEMPT_RT Patch on a VM with Ubuntu 20.04?

I am working on a project on a Raspberry Pi 4B (8GB of RAM) with vmware ESXi Arm Edition installed on it.

After creating a VM and installing Ubuntu 20.04 for ARM on it, I am following this guide on how to install preempt_rt on Ubuntu 20.04:

I am trying to have a RTOS on a VM hosted by ESXi but when I try to install the patch, the VM with Ubuntu on it stops working and enters the "invalid" status.

I have previosly taken snapshots of this VM but when in the invalid status I cannot revert to the latest one. 
I have tried multiple time this installation and the VM always enters the invalid status at different steps of the installation which seem random, hence I cannot get a grip on what is causing this issue.

• Is there a way to try and install the kernel and the patch in a "safe way" so that I have a backup of that VM on EXSi? 

• has someone installed preempt_rt on a Ubuntu VM hosted by ESXi?

Thank you,

Martina

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thread reported so moderators know it should be moved to the area for the ESXi on ARM fling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
cyprienlaplace
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Martina, can you share the content of the vmware.log file from the VM directory?

0 Kudos