VMware Cloud Community
Tattoofreak
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi ARM: Error while updating from version 1.14 to version 1.15

While trying to upgrade ESXi ARM from version 1.14 to version 1.15 on my Raspberry Pi 4 B (8GB) via a flashed USB stick image, the following error occurred:

------An unexpected error occurred------
See logs for details
OSError: no System VMFS-L partition found

nFileSysteM: Skipping volume 62263bd2-d97a5da7-342b-dca632deabcc: Unable to complete operation. Please the the VMkernel log file for more details.: I/O error

The storage is physically configured as an external SSD disk, connected via USB3/SATA adapter directly to the Raspberry, where the ESXi installation and VM storage is installed on the same physical disk.

I have updated the same system multiple times successfully until version 1.14 and this error never occurred before.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
cyprienlaplace
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, sorry for not responding earlier 😕

It says it got an I/O Error, have you tried to do it again?

If the I/O Error is persistent can you switch to Alt-F12 (vmkernel console, see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2148363) and see if there is a more precise error?

0 Kudos
Tattoofreak
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, there is a lot f information when I go into Alt-F12 VMKernel log.

Curious where this logs are being stored while in the upgrade process via USB stick so I can export them for you. Are the logs being stored on the USB stick with the ESXi ARM upgrade image on it or on the local file system of the current ESXi installation?

If so, the file I attached is what I found on /var/log/

The thing is that the log timestamps seem old as they are still from 2023 while I was trying again to upgrade today with the same results as before. Could it be that the timestamps are from 2023 because the time is not set properly on the ESXi?

0 Kudos