VMware Horizon Community
Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

stop teams cachestorage folder sycning with DEM

For some reason despite excluding the folders the cachstorage folders are still syncing for our users and taking up a ton of space. 

1. how do I stop this? 2. is there any concerns with excluding this? We are non-persistent  vdi but the users want some consistency between sesssions. 

see pics:

Hoodsie2018_0-1627668224534.png

Hoodsie2018_1-1627668254315.png

0 Kudos
16 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @Hoodsie2018,

That screenshot with the folder sizes does not seem to represent a DEM profile archive but just a folder structure. Are you maybe using folder redirection for AppData?

0 Kudos
Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is what we set up:

Hoodsie2018_0-1627935963258.png

0 Kudos
Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That first one is from here:

Hoodsie2018_0-1627938266278.png

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @Hoodsie2018,

Can you provide a FlexEngine log file at log level DEBUG, covering a full session from path-based import to path-based export?

0 Kudos
Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry was a away for a week. I'll have to figure out how to do that - both turn on debug level and do an import and export. I assume the latter means, log in with a fresh VDI session, launch teams, do something like change a setting and open a file in it, then log off the machine (which should kick off a DEM sync and rebuild the PC)? 

Where do I do change the log level on a per machine basis? I'm not able to rebuild the base image at this time due to critical usage week we're in. 

0 Kudos
anil_agarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Hoodsie2018 

you can refer https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2113514 to enable logging for a single user.

FlexEngine logs covering full session from user logon to logoff would help.

0 Kudos
Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@anil_agarwal Hi. Finally got the logs of a session. thanks for helping. 

0 Kudos
anil_agarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Spoiler

@Hoodsie2018 Hi, From the FlexEngine log, it seems Microsoft Teams is DirectFlex enabled. Hence, DEM will import Teams profile only when a user launches the Teams. However, it does not seem that user launched the Teams during the session. There's no logs for importing or exporting profile for Teams. 

Can you launch the Teams during the session and capture the logs. So, we can see what all settings in the Team's profiles were imported and exported to understand the issue you are facing. Alternatively, you can disable DirectFlex for MS Teams. In that case DEM will import the profile during logon and export during logoff. Thanks

0 Kudos
Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi. I definitely opened teams, sent a chat, and changed a setting. 

We are using Teams machine based install so it only starts up the first time a user logs in and then thereafter. Mine autostarts every time. 

msiexec /i <path_to_msi> /l*v <install_logfile_name> ALLUSER=1 ALLUSERS=1

0 Kudos
Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We need DirectFlex because the desktops are non-persistent, so it does not good to import the settings at logon. They should only be imported if the app launches. 

How do I verify if settings are importing? Do I get logs from a certain path once Teams is launched inside the session? 

Or perhaps DEM was the original metho and them Flex was later enabled? Should that make DEM profile settings unnecessary to keep going forward? 

0 Kudos
Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's our settings in DirectFlex:

Hoodsie2018_0-1629925529698.png

0 Kudos
Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@anil_agarwal 

Did another session and grabbed the flexengine and teams logs this time. i sent some chat messages again, changed a setting, restarted teams too and did it again. 

we are running out of space quickly. I can open a ticket but hoped to resolve it here first. thanks!

0 Kudos
anil_agarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Hoodsie2018 Please check whether executables (update.exe, teams.exe) are present in the path configured for the executables in the DirectFlex.

FlexEngine will hook to these executables using the path configured. If teams is installed in other location, FlexEngine would not know and won't apply personalization. Thus, no logging captured. 

0 Kudos
Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@anil_agarwal 

The locations are these it looks like not in those FlexEngine paths. Good catch. Not sure which teams.exe to use as they have slightly different versions and the versioning doesn't appear normal in sequential order:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Teams Installer\teams.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Teams\current\teams.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Teams\Update.exe

one is 1.4.00.11161 and the other is 1.4.00.8872. 

In control panel the Teams Machine-Wide Installer says it's version 1.4.0.8872 so I think what's also happening is it's upgrading to .11161 after install. Not sure how to prevent that as I thought doing it machine wide prevented that. These are non-persistent desktops so no sense in letting it update teams every new log in. 

0 Kudos
Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@anil_agarwal 

here's the latest log after updating the FlexEngine paths to the correct directories. does that require re-snapshot-ing the VDI image, just just changing it in DEM and then letting new rebuilds of it use the new settings? 

0 Kudos
anil_agarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Hoodsie2018 it seems still teams executable path configured in DEM management console is not correct. Here's few entries from the FlexEngine log file:

2021-08-30 10:21:20.980 [INFO ] Config file '\\vdiserver\DEMConfig$\General\Applications\Microsoft Teams.ini' added to DirectFlex cache

=> During user logon: this indicates that teams is DirectFlex enabled. Hence, teams configuration to be processed only when user launches the teams.

2021-08-30 13:04:10.155 [INFO ] Not performing export for DirectFlex config file '\\vdiserver\DEMConfig$\General\Applications\Microsoft Teams.ini'

=> During user logoff: This indicates that Flex Engine is not exporting profile archive for teams. This means, profile archive was not imported during user session. Hence, user did not launch teams. Because you are launching teams, then this would mean that teams path configured in teams.ini (from DEM management console) is not correct. This is the reason, personalization of teams is not applied and the folders you excluded in the configuration are not excluded. Correcting team's path in DEM configuration (from the management console) should solve this issue.

You do not need to reimage or rebuild, just correcting teams path in config should solve this issue.