VMware Horizon Community
janasrs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

application preferences being saved to HKU\~SID~

We have an application that apparently saves its preferences/settings to the HKU hive for the specific domain user that's logged on - instead of saving the settings to the HKCU\Software hive.  i can see the settings in HKCU, but the application never seems to actually read or set those values in that hive while the application is running. Changing the settings from within the application only affects the HKU hive.

Assuming I can't change the application's behavior, is there any way to preserve/restore the settings when they are stored in the HKU hive for a specific SID?  Since  the SID varies based on who is logged on, I can't specify the SID for any export, import or modification of settings (whereas I could do it easily if it was in HKCU).

Any thoughts? Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi janasrs,

HKU\SID is the same as HKCU for the corresponding user, so in principle that should work just fine.

Although it's not officially supported, can you try using HKU\SID instead of HKCU in a Flex config file for a particular test user (hard-coding that user's SID) to see if that works?

0 Kudos
ijdemes
Expert
Expert

I agree with UEMdev​. HKCU and HKU\<SID> are the same. When a registry key or value is created/changed/deleted in either location, it directly reflects in the other. So if an application looks for HKU\<SID>\Software\Application hard coded for instance, it doesn't matter if you export/import the HKCU\Software\Application location. Once imported it is also available under HKU\<SID>.

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com
0 Kudos