VMware Horizon Community
jordanht
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows Store Apps in Windows 10 - is there a proper method?

Is there a proper, 100% supported method of persisting Windows Store installed apps across sessions in a non-persistent Windows 10 VDI pool? Do I just need to provision them for all users in the gold image?

I'm primarily testing with the "Microsoft Sticky Notes" app because I know a lot of our staff use it. I can install it but after I log off, no matter what method I've tried, the app becomes uninstalled. It takes me to the Windows Store and shows that I "own" it, but I have to install it again to open it. Calculator is fine, but I left that one in the gold image as a provisioned app for all users.

I've attempted VMware Knowledge Base - this doesn't seem to do anything, even with a brand new UEM profile.

Following https://vjonathan.com/2019/01/01/uem-non-persistent-vdi-deployment-and-windows-10-uwp-apps-missing/ - this method preserves data. The notes I made show up on next login, and I have the icon for the app, but it still needs to be reinstalled from the store.

Horizon 7.9

UEM 9.8

Windows 10 1803

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi, did you figure this out?

I have the asme issue, where no apps are working.

When i try to start calc, it just say that i need an app to start calc...

Best regards
Lansti
0 Kudos
jordanht
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No consistent solution, unfortunately. I've gotten some working by making sure they are provisioned for all users in the gold image, but I still have issues with the icons disappearing and things breaking. I pretty much consider them "unsupported" at this point.

I am running this config file to capture them, but it doesn't work most of them time anyway:

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<LocalAppData>\Packages

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CapabilityAccessManager\ConsentStore

HKCU\Software\Classes\ActivatableClasses\Package

HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel

HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Protocol\PackageId

#Edge Config File already captures theses settings.

[ExcludeFolderTrees]

<LocalAppData>\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

<LocalAppData>\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy

0 Kudos
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I left Sticky Notes and Calculator installed when I set up a new 1903 gold image, and that way the icons show in start menu for all users. The Microsoft Store app must be enabled, and I found that Windows Update must be enabled, because the Store app uses Windows Update to update/install the apps. (I learned this the hard way when printers refused to install; turns out Windows checks Windows Update for printer apps whenever adding new printers.)

If you need to restrict the Store, you can set that up here: https://businessstore.microsoft.com/en-us/store​. Log in as a global admin, and click "Shop for my group". Basically the business store allows you to chose some apps, and restrict the rest of the store using GPO. A new tab will appear in the store with your organizations name on it.The other advantage is users can download without a Microsoft account, and they can use their domain account to sync settings and data.

As for the app re-downloading itself after recomposing a VDI, I haven't found a solution for that, using UEM or any other method. It's incredibly annoying and I feel that Microsoft does it on purpose

0 Kudos
harrymsg
Contributor
Contributor

Have same issue with Win 10 store apps like calc and sticky notes.  I ended up pushing a powershell script at logon to reinstall those store apps that are essentially gone.  Crazy...

0 Kudos
sleepwalkerx97
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey guys, I am the author of the vJonathan.

Can you guys provided me windows 10 builds, UEM/DEM versions, App volume version? using writable volumes?, used the desktop OS optimization tool on the master image?, instant clones or linked clones? horizon view version?

We have solution in the article deployed across different VDI environments within the company.

My home lab is running 1909 instant clones  with DEM 9.10, app volumes 4, and horizon view 7.11.

Thank you for the feedback.

Here is export of my home lab settings.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApD5n_aIwXU8gY9uGTASpYlGWQ43RQ

0 Kudos
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What powershell scripts, can you share? I haven't been successful in getting these apps reinstalled on logon

0 Kudos
sleepwalkerx97
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Maxstr,
We are not using any powershell scripts. The end users log off and log back on everyday. The Apps are provisioned during login.

The way we got around the apps not reprovisioning

was adding the following to the “Default Apps and FTA” to fix the Issue.

[IncludeFolderTrees]
<LocalAppData>\Packages\

We ended up reseting/deleting “Default Apps and FTAs” and “Windows Explorer” settings in the affected UEM Profiles because it contained the conflicting RegistryTree Settings.

This is the full config we use for ”Default Apps and FTA”

#Capture UWP settings
#If this entry is removed provisioning UWP Apps at logon will break in non-Persistent deployments.
[IncludeFolderTrees]
<LocalAppData>\Packages\

#Edge Config File already captures theses settings.
[ExcludeFolderTrees]

edit here is the full configurations

Default Apps and FTA

#Capturing FTA and Default settings

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts

[IncludeIndividualRegistryValues]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserSignedIn

UWP Apps 1809 (Whichever build)

#Capture UWP settings. If this entry is removed provisioning UWP at logon might break.

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<LocalAppData>\Packages\

#Edge settings configured for this

[ExcludeFolderTrees]

KB60282

#From VMware KB60282 https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/60282

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CapabilityAccessManager\ConsentStore

HKCU\Software\Classes\ActivatableClasses\Package

HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel

HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Protocol\PackageId

danishaider
Contributor
Contributor

windows 10 builds0= 2004

UEM/DEM versions : using FxLogix

App volume version:  not using app volumes

using writable volumes : not using writable volumes

, used the desktop OS optimization tool on the master image : Yes

instant clones or linked clones? Instant Clones

horizon view version : 7.12

0 Kudos
raaaphiiBIT
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jordanht

You need to install the Apps offline as a provisioned appx. 

To downlaod follow this:

1. Sign in to the Microsoft Store for Business or Microsoft Store for Education.
  2. Click Manage.
  3. Click Settings.
  4. Click Shop. Search for the Shopping experience section, change the License type to Offline, and click Get the app, which will add the app to your inventory

You then can Download the App and its offline License File. With those two Files you are able to install the App as a privisioned App so as every user has the App installed at logon, without the need for reinstalling.

Use this powershell command to install, ignore the dependency if non exists:

Add-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online -PackagePath c:\Appx\myPackage.appx -DependencyPackagePath c:\Appx\dependency1\dependencyPackage.appx -LicensePath c:\Appx\myLicense.xml

I tried this with DEM and even was able to also roam the users apps settings this way. 

Best Regards

raaaphiiBIT

0 Kudos
ehorsting
Contributor
Contributor

Can you provide some more info? When I download the package from the business store I get the right package size but the name is not what I expected.

For example: I downloaded the calculator app and I get the following file (it has the right filesize):

aba27fa5-4c6a-4e8a-b7a5-da9cfb06c577

That's it. No .appx or .appxbundle.. I know this is not really a VMware question but I could not find anything on it.

I tried renaming it with appx or appxbundle but the I get an error when running the Powershell command. 

0 Kudos
jjwb96
Contributor
Contributor

For setting it up in DEM, did you set it up as a Login Task or a Triggered Task?

0 Kudos
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@ehorsting I get this issue sometimes too... oddly, I have to redownload it again. Sometimes it takes a few minutes for the package to be created on their side, so if you try downloading the same file a few times eventually you'll get the entire package.

0 Kudos