VMware Horizon Community
moto316
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows Search not working with Folder Redirection

Starting to implement UEM for our desktops and I'm running into an issue with folder redirection. When I have it enabled in UEM it kills the ability to search for files or folders on the Win7 desktop I'm testing with. Once I disable it windows search works just fine. I haven't even gotten to the point of making the non-persistent pools yet so the search index is still located on the local C drive and isn't being deleted and recreated on each logon. OSOT also hasn't been run yet just to rule that out.

Windows 7 Enterprise

UEM 9.3

Horizon 7.3.2

8 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi moto316,

Does the answer in this thread maybe help? Also, does it behave any different is you redirect these folders via Group Policy instead of via UEM?

0 Kudos
moto316
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

unfortunately no, one of the first steps in my troubleshooting was to give users full control to the root uem_profile share, haven't tried redirecting through GPO yet, i'll try that next.

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Please check either your windows search service is running are not

Regards,

Vkmr.

0 Kudos
moto316
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is.

0 Kudos
moto316
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tried redirecting via GPO and still same result. No results when searching from Start Menu. If I got directly into the desktop/documents/downloads folder it finds it just fine however

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi moto316,

Thank you for checking how it behaves with "normal" folder redirection. As the problem also occurs in that scenario, we now know that we don't need to look into UEM specific issues.

That being said, I'm unfortunately not very familiar with Windows Search, but hopefully someone else on this forum has some ideas... I'm seeing quite a few questions online regarding issues with Windows Search and folder redirection, though...

moto316
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So it turns out it is something with UEM causing this. I went back and reverted to a snapshot of the VM before any UEM settings were ever applied, applied the Folder Redirection via GPO only and it works. Went back again to the pre-UEM snapshot, reconfigured GPO to disable the GPO native folder redirection, enabled UEM folder redirection, logged on and the start menu searching is back to being broken.

0 Kudos
okeedokee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any progress on this?

0 Kudos