VMware Horizon Community
himcrucified
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows Search Indexing for UEM Folder Redirection (e.g. Desktop, Documents, etc.)

We use UEM for folder redirection but I've noticed that this means the user can no longer return search results for the locations that are redirected. Is there a way around this? I don't know if it's even possible to add a UNC path to Windows Search Indexing without making a mapped network drive for these locations, which seems like a bad long-term solution.

Is there a way to do this? Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm actually looking into this as well.  One thing I found though is that Windows 10 doesn't index network locations, the file server itself indexes the file share and passes the index to the client when requested.  Do you have search indexing on on your file server?  I haven't actually done it yet as the storage guys who handle the file server are not happy about having to turn indexing on.  I was kind of hoping to see if it worked before pushing the issue.

0 Kudos
himcrucified
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interesting... I had no idea that the server would somehow pass that indexing information along to the client device. Is there something I need to do to make that work besides enabling indexing on the server side? And is there anything in particular that I need to do when I enabling indexing on the server side in terms of what to index and what not to index?

I also assume that the file indexing on the server side won't allow the client to browse all of the files from all of the other users - right? 🙂

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Those are all good questions that I don't really have the answers to.

I imagine depending on the file server the indexing would have to be turned on in different ways and some may be able to specify shares to index and others may just index the entire thing.  I imagine you will see only the results for files that you yourself have read/traverse access to.

0 Kudos
himcrucified
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

jmatz135​ is this what you're talking about?

https://www.cloudtec.ch/blog/tech/2015/add-search-indexed-network-share-windows-library

The only caveat (and potentially a big one) is that the share would have to be a mapped network drive. Thoughts?

0 Kudos