VMware Horizon Community
CyberTron123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 10 startmenu don´t work with mandatory profile

‌hi

we are using windows 7 with mandatory profiles on a remote share. However, we recently are trying out Windows 10 and the start-menu don´t work. (you press the button, and nothing happens)

after hours of reading blogs, forums and such we figured out that it is because Windows 10 doesn´t seem to work correctly with mandatory profiles

anyone has any ideas how to fix this? in my opinion UEM is meant to be working with mandatory profiles otherwise it kinda llooses itś meaning.

JUst to clarify, this problem is with windows 10 not uem really, but perhaps someone has a solution or any other ideas.

20 Replies
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you try to save the following keys and let me know if this works:

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<StartMenu>

[IncludeFiles]

<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\Windows\appsFolder.itemdata-ms

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself
0 Kudos
CyberTron123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

‌i will try it today

0 Kudos
CyberTron123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

does not seem to make a difference unfortuanly. found an article explaining that it might work if i take the default user profile and make that mandatory, it does seem to work but then i cannot make my own customizations to it...

any more ideas?

0 Kudos
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

It's indeed better to use a copy of the default profile and customize it afterwards. You can customize this profile using UEM Predefined settings and/or User Environment settings like registry and files and folders. This way you can inject settings into the profile at login and at application start-up.

If you want to customize the Default User Profile upfront, please take a look at this blogpost.

Raymond

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself
CyberTron123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

‌hi, i actully don´t customize much, i actually only want to set the visual style to "best performance" for all users logging in, but it cannot be set in registry as far as I know?

i will look into the blogpost Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
wapak
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Is there a solution for this ?

we have the same problem.

I have opened a request but no answer ...

0 Kudos
Pim999
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you want to use Mandatory Profiles with Windows 10 to get rid of the ‘Hi, welcome to Windows’ delay, read the following.

This delay is caused by the installation of the modern/metro apps at first-logon.

Capturing those apps is not 100% possible with UEM. The problem is that the tiles in the start menu break or disappear if you just capture the <LocalAppData>\Packages location.

Capturing the Start Menu tiles itself also doesn’t work a 100%. Even if you get it to work, the capturing and restoring of these packages by UEM takes almost as much time as a regular logon, beause of the size of these modern/metro apps.

The best solution we have found so far is removing the metro/modern apps from the golden image. Most customers don’t want/need them anyway.

With some Powershell command you can remove all or some of the packages and prevent them from being installed at first-logon.

Have a look at this blog for more info:

http://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-remove-all-built-in-apps-in-windows-10

0 Kudos
wapak
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Pim,

we dont have this issue ‘Hi, welcome to Windows’ delay

The users just want to use the start button.

Does the removal of modern apps also help the issue with the start button ?

0 Kudos
Pim999
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mandatory profiles are used less often. And with Windows 10, Microsoft has made Mandatory profiles almost impossible to manage.

Most customers simply use the default local profiles and on top of that a UEM solution.

Why do you want to use a Mandatory profile? If you explain the usecase, I might be able to give you another solution.

0 Kudos
wapak
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Pim,

The users log in into a mixed enviroment win7 / win 10 .

That is why we are working with mandatory profiles for win 10 also.

0 Kudos
Pim_van_de_Vis

You can just use the default local profile.

If it's persistent VDI the next logon will be faster.

If it's non-persistent VDI, the profile will be deleted at logoff anyway.

I guess you don't need mandatory profiles. The scenario where mandatory profiles make sense the most are with RDSH terminal server published desktops or published applications.

0 Kudos
PlainsCotton
Contributor
Contributor

take a look at the UsrClass.dat file under the C:\User\<logged on user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows and make sure that the <logged in user> has ownership of the file. What we found was the persona directory we were storing this in was changing the ownership of the folders under the users "persona" directory. The root folder was fine, it was the subfolders that were wrong.

If you try to roam anything in Windows 10 AppData local it does this. Using UEM to handle this instead of Persona Manager might help fix this.

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I use UEM 8 and 9 for my user persona with roaming profile.

Leveraged this blogpost, Customizing the Windows 10 Start Menu... to create a default user profile with start screen the way I want.

I created a LayoutModification.xml, placed into the Default User ...\Windows\Shell location so all users get the default start screen.

I have everything working to get the screen, but the problem is trying to save the start screen before the user logs off the system.

I have tried to run the LayoutExport.ps1 at log-off and then have you UEM monitor ...\Windows\shell. But I think that action is running at the wrong time. So I tried doing a PS to copy it at login script and still no look.

If anyone has any other ideas, let me know and I will be happy to test them out.

Mike_A
0 Kudos
Pim_van_de_Vis

It's a known issue, that the start menu does not roam correctly, even with Windows Roaming Profiles.

I read somewhere that this Microsoft Windows 10 patch from 2 days ago should fix the roaming start menu problems:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3147458

0 Kudos
CyberTron123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am still trying to solve this! It is not going very good.

So what are my options ?

Today:

I am using Win7 with mandatory profile. In the profile I have customized desktop FX (no transparency, no menu delay and so on). Together with the mandatory profile this makes for a very fast logon (around 15-20 seconds) and a snappy consistent user experience.

When trying to copy this to Win10 it fails, because the start menu refuses to show (and the search button doesn´t work)

IF i take the default user with no modification it does work, but my desktop fx doesn´t get in it and I also get a slow logon (more than 60 seconds)

So How can I do this in UEM instead?

Can I make a UEM profile for the Windows Effects ? (if so how?)

and how do I get past the "preparing windows" that takes forever?

0 Kudos
Pim_van_de_Vis

Have you already used this tool?

VMware OS Optimization Tool

This will remove most of the Modern/Metro apps you don't need and does a lot of other optimizations that makes the Windows 10 logon a lot faster.

0 Kudos
CyberTron123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes I have used the Vmware OS Optimaition Tool. The problem with the slow logon is not the apps (not anymore) but the fact that I am using mandatory profile.

Since I can not use mandatory profile (that I have changed to my liking) I have had to resort to the option of using the default profile (although mandatory) And then It is like I logon for the first time, every time.

So I am missing something ? Some setting that I don´t save.   At first I thought it was the "Active Setup" but it doesn´t seem to exist in Win10 ?

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you using UEM 9.x?

If you are, you need to exclude MS (Mandatory/Roaming) Profile in GPO.

Then enable UEM Folder Redirection, something like this.

UEM9-FolderRedirection.png

This will redirect the users data to a network share, while the users App/Profile settings will be stored in you UEM UserProfile shared location.

Mike_A
0 Kudos
LeeUSMC88
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Key thing to remember is that Windows 10 is not like previous Microsoft OS versions.  You can not view customizations to Windows 10 OS as we have with Windows XP, 7 and 8.

With that stated there are customizations that will be detailed by the VMware EUC engineers, there is also a of great resources online that help to give you an idea on how to build your custom configs with UEM.  We've been able to think outside the box and create a way to have Windows 10 Start Tiles follow users when using throw away desktops and so on.  This community is a great way to find answers but also reach out to your local VMware EUC SE or VMware partner SE to help get some answers.  They have many customers that are asking the same questions and may have a their own library of custom config settings.

UEM is very powerful once you figure out how to use the include/exclude statements and assign conditions to those configs.  Things to keep in mind are that not all WIndows 7/8 settings or files will work properly with Windows 10.  That is when you can create a condition that states OS version.

0 Kudos