VMware Horizon Community
SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Windows 10 display scaling and UEM

A couple of people using our VDI environment noticed that when they adjusted the Windows 10 display scaling this setting isn't saved by UEM. When logging in to another desktop there scaling setting is set te default and not there preferred setting.

Is is possible to have UEM preserve this setting?

7 Replies
Pim_van_de_Vis

There is a template, but I'm not sure if that works for Windows 10. It does on Windows 7 and 8.

You can try by creating a new UEM Config File, select 'Windows Common Setting' and choose the 'DPI settings' template.

Let me know if that works.

0 Kudos
SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The template for W7 and W8 doesn't work for W10 v1703 unfortunately.

I did a reg comparison after the change and atached the result to this post, don't know if it's helpful or not...

0 Kudos
SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It looks like W10 is saving DPI settings per monitor and using some sort of identification (serial?) in the following registry location:

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\PerMonitorSettings

0 Kudos
SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

First test results look promising.

We use Dell WYSE zero clients with 24" monitors and after logging back in on another client, it seems UEM has transferred my settings correctly and W10 scaling is adjusted.

Have not tested yet what happens when different types/sizes of monitors are used regarding the monitor identification in registry.

0 Kudos
SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Additional testing is also going well. Switched from a zero client with a 24"monitor to one with a 19" monitor and scaling is transferred nicely using UEM.

Setting used:

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\PerMonitorSettings

Flex Profiles.reg then has the following entries:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Immidio\Flex Profiles\ImportMarkers]

"Pre"=dword:22a2d9ad

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\PerMonitorSettings]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\PerMonitorSettings\NOEDID_15AD_0405_00000000_000F0000_0^20ED182961F2CFDB3A2D28C95A99744F]

"DpiValue"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Immidio\Flex Profiles\ImportMarkers]

"Post"=dword:e27c0200

I don't know if this method would work if not using the same zero clients or hopping between different models. I guess the NOEDID is tied to this particular model zero client and changing to another model could break UEM from functioning.

SchwarzC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Since we have more and more people using W10 in the community - can we have updated Windows Common Settings for Windows 10?

0 Kudos
ArnoM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found this article handy as well. Had a customer who was not able to change the DPI settings in the VDI session.

Using DPI Synchronization

Blog: https://arnomeijroos.com/ Twitter: @ACMeijroos