VMware Horizon Community
DigeratiMVP
Contributor
Contributor

Where am I going wrong?

I am new to UEM and after reading several documents I still feel a bit lost.

I want all users to get the same desktop setup. Computer and Files icon on the desktop, Firefox pinned to start menu and task bar, kill Action Center, get rid off all annoying crap on the start menu, minus control panel, and printers and user directory. I want this to be mandatory. How?

Under personalization in UEM, I have Windows Explorer checked to use directflex and THATS IT.

13.jpg

WHY is it that for one of my test users it shows all this?

12.jpg

I think its saving all the things I am doing to Windows Explorer and task bar items, but for the other test users it IS NOT. Why?

14.jpg

Printers?? What is with printer mapping? I have added serveral printers to the VMware UEM console and if I don't set a specific condition, all printers show up for all users where I have the UEM GPO applied. Is that how its supposed to be? I would rather it be the opposite...

Thanks in advanced.

Sincerly, Frustrated.

5 Replies
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

I want all users to get the same desktop setup. Computer and Files icon on the desktop, Firefox pinned to start menu and task bar, kill Action Center, get rid off all annoying crap on the start menu, minus control panel, and printers and user directory. I want this to be mandatory. How?

- you can do this with a combination of Shortcuts and ADMX based settings. Create a shortcut and make sure you select and fill in a folder under "Programs Folder", this will create a folder in the start menu. If you want to clean-up your start-menu, import your policydefinitions folder in the admin console under ADMX Based settings of UEM and configure the items you want to hide accordingly.

Under personalization in UEM, I have Windows Explorer checked to use directflex and THATS IT.

- It's better not to use Directflex for Windows Settings, most settings need to load at login by windows.

WHY is it that for one of my test users it shows all this?

- Windows settings are imported and exported at login, so if these settings appear at your users you've configured UEM well. Congratulations ! 😉

I think its saving all the things I am doing to Windows Explorer and task bar items, but for the other test users it IS NOT. Why?

- not sure what you mean by this...please explain

Printers?? What is with printer mapping? I have added serveral printers to the VMware UEM console and if I don't set a specific condition, all printers show up for all users where I have the UEM GPO applied. Is that how its supposed to be? I would rather it be the opposite...

- This is by design, you can create printers but if you don't assign conditions to it(for example: IP range or security group) all your users will get that printer. This is also how it works in Windows without UEM.

Maybe it's also a good idea to follow our free UEM fundamentals training, this way you will learn how UEM works and how you can use it in your environment.

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What version of UEM are you using?

Is this being used in VDI and/or Physical environment?

You Master image with default user should be set the desktop layout you want. But you can capture this and then create Predefined Settings for each Personalization component.

FYI, I would not enable DirectFlex for any of the Windows Settings.

If I understand correctly what you are stating about Printer Mappings, you are correct in that you will see all printers show if you don't put some kind of conditions. An example and/or screenshots would be more helpful here. It would help me understand your environment configuration better, to help.

Mike_A
DigeratiMVP
Contributor
Contributor

UEM 9.0.0.156 and this is in a VDI environment.

I did include 3 screenshots, did they not show up?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
DigeratiMVP
Contributor
Contributor

How do I capture a profile I like and apply it to others?

0 Kudos
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You cannot capture a complete profile with UEM, you will have to setup UEM to your liking(so combine features like shortcuts, drive/printer mappings, ADMX based settings and conditions) also create config files(INI) to save settings.

If you want to fine-tune UEM, you can use pre-defined settings. This feature will pre-configure you applications when your users start them for the first time, it is even possible to make the settings mandatory.

But like I said in my previous post, take a look at the free fundamentals training, every feature will be explained there.

Raymond

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself
0 Kudos