VMware Horizon Community
wvalentine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Very Slow Start Menu and Search Box Initial Opening in Windows 10 VMs

Hello,

I am having an issue where when the user logs in and each time they log in the start menu and search box take forever before they can be opened. When you click on each one there's about a 20 second delay before it opens. It's fine after that for the session. I tried this KB to roam the settings so hopefully it would be once, but it didn't work. Any ideas on best practice of having the start menu/search box ready at login?

Thanks,

William V

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It is because you used the VMWare Optimization Tool.   That tool is buggy, and causes issues.   Read the Fling Comments, you'll see people posting complaints for the past two versions.

VMware OS Optimization Tool Comments

Sadly, the easiest fix is to roll-back to a clean snap-shot, and then EDIT the VMWare Optimization template...removing items you do not want, as well as ALL of the Modern App tweaks.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It is because you used the VMWare Optimization Tool.   That tool is buggy, and causes issues.   Read the Fling Comments, you'll see people posting complaints for the past two versions.

VMware OS Optimization Tool Comments

Sadly, the easiest fix is to roll-back to a clean snap-shot, and then EDIT the VMWare Optimization template...removing items you do not want, as well as ALL of the Modern App tweaks.

wvalentine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

I'll give that a shot. However, when you say Modern App Tweaks, what do you mean? Removing the apps, I remove all the Windows Modern Apps.

Thanks,

William

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

" I remove all the Windows Modern Apps"    THIS is what is causing the Start Menu delay.  

I just do it manually via PowerShell afterwards.

0 Kudos
wvalentine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So far no change, even with minimal optimization. Same delay. Same delay with UEM capture of start menu settings as well.

0 Kudos
jahegyi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For me, the issue was the Optimization Tool. I also remove modern apps with a power-shell script on the gold image rather than relying on the optimization tool. I stopped optimizing the following items and I no longer have the start menu delay:

Windows Settings - Let apps access my contacts

Windows Settings - Let apps access my calendar

Windows Settings - Let apps access my call history

Windows Settings - Let apps access and send email

Windows Settings - Let apps read or send messages

If I optimize any of these settings for HKCU, I get a 10-15 second delay when a user performs a left click on the start menu in Win10 1803. Every other variable that can be optimized with the tool has been tested on our gold image and these are the only ones that cause the delay.

robsisk1972
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I experienced the same issue with 1803, local profiles and the default win10 optimization scripts.   I ended creating a new master with 1709, mandatory profile and switched from applying the default win10 optimization script to the loginVSI - VDILIKEAPRO script and this issue was resolved.   Although I changed several things at once, I know switching from 1803 to 1709 had nothing to do with it.   I downgraded from 1803 due to another issue that was recently added to the release notes.   The fix was most definitely related to switching optimization scripts in my opinion or removing the modern apps.    As far as the mandatory profile, It may have helped too but can't say for sure.    If I were you, I would start with the optimization scripts because creating a mandatory profile is a pain in the neck and very time consuming. Hope this helps in some way.

0 Kudos
wvalentine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've rebuilt a couple times trying all these. It did improve slightly but there's still something wrong.  I'll keep looking.

0 Kudos
DanVM99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you ever come to a conclusion with your findings on this? We're having the same issue and I'm reticent to revert to a pre optimization snapshot as we've done lots of other work to our Gold Image since then. I was hoping someone might have determined the necessary registry keys that needed to be restored to go back to pre optimization tool start menu performance...

Thanks

0 Kudos
MattVicos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Was it just the first initial click on the start menu? I'm seeing an initial delay on 1803. 

0 Kudos
Anobix67
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can look in the optimization tool to see what scripts/etc it uses to remove/add certain things and you can try adding them back, but that said, (and I've been there), I revert and go through it again. I always make sure to take a snap right before OSOT just because of the number of issues it can cause if something changes.

I also try to keep a onenote file updated with the differences between snapshots so I have an idea of what I've done and can re-do if necessary.

0 Kudos
MattVicos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Anobix67, it was the below in the OS optimization tool in HKCU for the mandatory profile causing the issue.

Windows Settings - Let apps access my contacts

Windows Settings - Let apps access my calendar

Windows Settings - Let apps access my call history

Windows Settings - Let apps access and send email

Windows Settings - Let apps read or send messages

0 Kudos