VMware Horizon Community
srietberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware UEM 9.3.0.804 - Default Apps and FTAs in Windows 10 1709

Dear VMware UEM Community,

I am having some issues regarding the preconfigured option in UEM -> Default Apps and FTAs. It seems like that this option isn't roaming any FTA's / Default App settings in a Windows 10 1709 VDI environment. According to the VMware releasenotes of UEM 9.3.0.804, Windows 10 1709 is fully supported.

I already found some other topics on this forum regarding the FTA in Windows 10, but these extra HKCU settings arent working for me, and only affect our login time in a bad way. If there isn't an easy sollution i will contact the VMware support for further actions.

Thanks in advance !

Greetings,

Sven

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
srietberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have fixed the SetUserFTA issue with another method. I have created a shortcut in the UEM that is located in the startup folder that points to a simple script on the network. This script starts the SetUserFTA.exe with the correct parameters. I know that this isn't a perfect method, but it works for now. Important is that you uncheck the "Run Asynchronously" within the shortcut options because you want the script to be always completed before the user is fully logged-on.

Greetings,

Sven

View solution in original post

9 Replies
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Enabled debugging for a user and inspect the log. That will give you insight into any configuration / UEM issues. We run 1709 w/ UEM and don't have any problems.

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
srietberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I enabled debugging mode for a user. In the debuglog i can see that the Defaults Apps and FTA settings are applied at logon. But what i already said, the Default Apps and FTAs are not roamed.

I've found the following registry config on this forum that should fix my issue:

--

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts

[IncludeIndividualRegistryValues]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserSignedIn

--

But when i apply this config in the preconfigured Default Apps and FTAs setting in the UEM Manager, My Windows 10 Metro Apps disapear, like the calculator and the photo's app.

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

For my environment, we use logon/logoff tasks to export and import these settings. Here is a great article on this. So far its been solid for us across different Win 10 builds.

https://www.ivandemes.com/export-import-file-type-associations-fta-successfully-using-uem/

0 Kudos
srietberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Techguy129,

Thanks for the great advice ! I have followed the webblog that you have send me. But i have a problem with it to get it working. Maybe you can help me with it ?:

Dear UEM Community,

Instead of placing the SetUserFTA.exe and GetUserFTA.exe on a network share, i have placed them in my image. I've done this because i couldnt get it working from my network share. The strange thing is that it isn't working directly from my image as well....

The Logoff task is working properly, and the UEM config file to. The only thing that isn't working is the Logon task. I have tried to run the SetUserFTA.exe directly from the VM, and then it is working ! So there has to be something wrong with my UEM...

These are my UEM logon / logoff tasks:

Logontask: C:\OG-Scripting\UserFTA\SetUserFTA.exe "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\UserFTA.config"

Logofftask: cmd.exe /c C:\OG-Scripting\UserFTA\GetUserFTA.exe > "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\UserFTA.config"

Thanks in Advance !

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Can you check to see what the UEM flexengine.log says about the logon tasks? That might give you an indication for why it isn't running. You may need to turn on debugging to get more information.

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
srietberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I uploaded the logfile as an attachment to this message. In my opinion everything seems okay...

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

logon task seems to be fine. Are the settings you are trying to import in userFTA.config file that is extracted to %localappdata% ? By chance, you are overwriting them by using the FTA in UEM?

0 Kudos
srietberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The userFTA.config file is at the correct location and is filled with the FTAs. If i run the SetUserFTA.exe manually, the FTAs are live appearing and functioning correctly. The Default FTA personalization option in UEM is disabled.

0 Kudos
srietberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have fixed the SetUserFTA issue with another method. I have created a shortcut in the UEM that is located in the startup folder that points to a simple script on the network. This script starts the SetUserFTA.exe with the correct parameters. I know that this isn't a perfect method, but it works for now. Important is that you uncheck the "Run Asynchronously" within the shortcut options because you want the script to be always completed before the user is fully logged-on.

Greetings,

Sven