VMware Horizon Community
MIWE-Admins
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Dynamic Environment Manager 2203 FATAL No valid license found

Hello everyone,

after the update (test) to the 2203, I have the problem that the test clients bring an error in the log:

FATAL No valid license found

The license is stored in the console and sometimes a client can also find the license.
I no longer gave any *.lic via the setup. The log is on debug but I have little information.

How does the new licensing work?
Does it need ports or is it a file that is copied?

I would like to debug in the right place.

Thanks for the help!
Best regards
Michael

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@MIWE-Admins,

As of DEM 2203, the license is no longer provided at install time, but configured via the Management Console. The Management Console copies the provided license to the config share, and that is where the DEM agent expects to find it. The way the agent accesses the license is exactly the same as how it reads the other config files on the share; no additional ports or protocols are in play here.

[FATAL] No valid license found means that ...\General\FlexRepository\AgentConfiguration\License.xml does not exist.
If it works sometimes, could it be the case that some agent machines are pointing to a different DEM config share than others?

0 Kudos
khanmof
Contributor
Contributor

We too have run into the same issue with the new DEM 2203. Here are the quick notes from my findings:

1. We are installing the DEM 2203 Agent with the following command:

All in ONE Sample Unattended Installation of User Environment Manager (DEM FlexEngine + DEM Self Support + Management Console)

msiexec.exe /i "VMware Dynamic Environment Manager Enterprise 2203 10.5 x64.msi" /qn ADDLOCAL="FlexEngine,FlexProfilesSelfSupport,FlexManagementConsole" LICENSEFILE="<Path to the License File>\VMware-DEM-10.5.0-GA.lic" /l* InstallDEM.log

Note: License File is also available in source location.

1. FlexEngine Log looks like below and DEM policies are NOT being processed:

khanmof_0-1651050387892.jpeg

1. The Install Directory has 36 Items in there and the LIC File is MISSING:

khanmof_1-1651050387921.jpeg

1. Now I copy and rename the VMware-DEM-10.5.0-GA.lic to Installation Directory as FlexEngine.lic and it looks like below:

khanmof_2-1651050387932.jpeg

1. Quick Logoff / Login and all the DEM Policies are being processed successfully.
  2. Next, I Clean Install DEM 2111 with the same Installation Command and the corresponding LIC File is copied over and present in the DEM Flex Agent Installation Directory.

Conclusion: Looks like an issue with the DEM 2203 Installer Files. It fails to copy the LIC File to the DEM Flex Agent Installation Directory. I do hereby wish to REPORT the same as a BUG with DEM 2203 and hope nothing else is broken within DEM 2203.

0 Kudos
khanmof
Contributor
Contributor

RESOLUTION:

Copy and rename the VMware-DEM-10.5.0-GA.lic to Installation "C:\Program Files\Immidio\Flex Profiles" Directory as FlexEngine.lic .

ROOT CAUSE: 

Problem is with the DEM 2203 Installer Files. It fails to copy the LIC File to the DEM Flex Agent Installation Directory.

0 Kudos
khanmof
Contributor
Contributor

Latest: NOT A BUG !!! IT IS BY LICENSING DESIGN STARTING WITH DEM 2203!!!

The new DEM 2203 agent installation NO MORE requires the license file to be provided at installation time. The License is now managed within the DEM Management Console and LIC file will be integrated within the Configuration Share.

khanmof_0-1651125807795.png

khanmof_1-1651125927327.png

Click Manage >> Browse to the LIC File and Install. Done!

Clients should now be able to pickup the license file when the DEM agent connects to the DEM Configuration Share for policies.

khanmof_2-1651126197966.png

Hope this helps.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Dynamic-Environment-Manager/2203/rn/vmware-dynamic-environment-man...

Regards, Feroze

0 Kudos
MIWE-Admins
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the answers.

We distribute the DEM via a software distribution that does not necessarily have a connection to the domain network at the time of installation for notebooks. As a result, the share ...\general\FlexRepository\AgentConfiguration\License.xml cannot be accessed at the time of installation.

Can this be a reason that remote clients do not have a license?
Can I just copy the License.xml to %LocalAppData%\VMware DEM\FlexSync\General\FlexRepository\AgentConfiguration in this case as well?

Many thanks for the support!

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @MIWE-Admins,

As of DEM 2203, the license is no longer "installed" together with the product, so it's no problem if the license file is not accessible at the time of installation.

You now have to provide the license file in the Management Console, which will then put it on the DEM config share. That's where the DEM agent looks for it at run-time.

In SyncTool scenarios, the SyncTool will automatically copy the license file from the share to the local FlexSync folder (together with all the other config files.)

If you'd rather have the license file reside in another location, you can do that by configuring the advanced License location policy setting (or its NoAD equivalent.)

0 Kudos