VMware Horizon Community
sabbe581
Contributor
Contributor

VMware DEM 9.10 FTA Import Error

Hello everyone,

I have a Windows 10 1809 with VMware DEM 9.10. The import of the FTA does not work. In the FlexEngine Log I see the following error message:

2020-04-22 14:40:28.387 [FATAL] FlexUtils::ExecuteCommand: '"C:\Windows\REGEDIT.EXE" /S "C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Temp\FLXB5A9.tmp"' timed out

2020-04-22 14:40:28.389 [ERROR] Error 32 deleting file 'C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Temp\FLXB5A9.tmp' (@IR2)

2020-04-22 14:40:28.389 [FATAL] Error importing archive '\\XXX\DEM-Profiles\Win10\XXX\Archives\Windows Settings\FTA_DEM 9.10.zip'

Within the session there is also the folder "FLXB5A9.tmp" under :\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Temp\

When I try to unzip the folder with 7zip I get the error message:

"Can not open file as archive"

2. How can I define Outlook as my default e-mail program? The following did not work:

2020-04-22 14_57_57-HY-STD.png

Best regards,

Sascha

11 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Sascha,

2020-04-22 14:40:28.387 [FATAL] FlexUtils::ExecuteCommand: '"C:\Windows\REGEDIT.EXE" /S "C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Temp\FLXB5A9.tmp"' timed out

This means that just importing the registry information from Archives\Windows Settings\FTA_DEM 9.10.zip took more than 1 minute. That often means that anti-virus software is getting in the way.

Within the session there is also the folder "FLXB5A9.tmp" under :\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Temp\

When I try to unzip the folder with 7zip I get the error message:

"Can not open file as archive"

FLXB5A9.tmp is a file, right? (If not, something is very broken Smiley Happy) That file will contain registry information, so 7-zip is not able to do anything with that.

As for your second question: there's no nice UI for that at the moment. Please see Re: DEM 9.10 and support for File Type Associations and Protocols for more information.

sabbe581
Contributor
Contributor

Hi DEMdev,

thank you for your information Smiley Happy!

Yes, FLXB5A9 is a tmp file.

I will now deactivate the virus protection and check if it works correctly.

Nathan1092
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Sabbe,

did this work for you? We are having the same error with a different file.

Regards,

Nathan1092

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Nathan1092,

We are having the same error with a different file.

Where are you encountering this timeout error? Would you happen to have a DEBUG log file with more details?

0 Kudos
Nathan1092
Contributor
Contributor

Hi DEMdev

Below is a snippet from the DEBUG LOG file for the user.

2020-06-23 08:42:11.629 [INFO ] Importing profile archive 'Windows Explorer.zip' (\\xxx\user\archives\Windows Explorer.zip)

2020-06-23 08:42:11.809 [DEBUG] ImportRegistry::Import: Calling '"C:\WINDOWS\REGEDIT.EXE" /S "C:\Users\user~1.usr\AppData\Local\Temp\FLXEED1.tmp"' (RPAL: l=0 (D/E), r=0)

2020-06-23 08:43:11.842 [FATAL] FlexUtils::ExecuteCommand: '"C:\WINDOWS\REGEDIT.EXE" /S "C:\Users\user~1.usr\AppData\Local\Temp\FLXEED1.tmp"' timed out

2020-06-23 08:43:11.844 [ERROR] Error 32 deleting file 'C:\Users\user~1.usr\AppData\Local\Temp\FLXEED1.tmp' (@IR2)

2020-06-23 08:43:11.844 [FATAL] Error importing archive '\\xxx\user\archives\Windows Settings\Windows Explorer.zip'

We have excluded the necessary paths in AV.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2113665

Regards,

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Nathan1092,

How large is the .REG file in that Windows Explorer.zip profile archive?

0 Kudos
Nathan1092
Contributor
Contributor

Hi DEMdev

This .REG file in the Windows Explorer.zip profile archive is 20mb.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Nathan1092,

This .REG file in the Windows Explorer.zip profile archive is 20mb.

That's pretty large, so it's not too surprising that it takes that long to import. To be honest, I'm not sure if there's a good way to tweak those settings to make them smaller (I just build the product; don't know much about particular settings Smiley Happy.) Maybe someone else on the forum has more hands-on experience with this.

For what it's worth: that 1-minute timeout just means that the DEM agent stops waiting for Regedit to complete the registry import. When the timeout expires, Regedit continues to run, so the settings will end up in the user's profile.

ijdemes
Expert
Expert

Hi Nathan1092​,

Like DEMdev mentioned, 20mb in size in "pretty big" 😉

Can you share the Windows Explorer Config File (INI) content with us?

When you extract the Windows Explorer.zip file to a temporary folder, can you see what folders/files/registry takes so much in size?

What happens when you import the Windows Explorer.zip file after logging on? Same result?

FlexEngine.exe -r "\\<server>\<share>\<path to user>\Windows Settings\Windows Explorer.zip" -v -l DEBUG -f "%temp%\FlexEngine.log"

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com
ijdemes
Expert
Expert

Hi Nathan1092​,

Any follow-up you can do after the last comment/suggestions?

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com
0 Kudos
Nathan1092
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ijdemes​,

The Windows Explorer ini is the default one with no changes. I haven't had a chance to run the command you listed. I will provide feedback as soon as I do. We found that a Chrome extension also contributed to the long login time.

Regards,

Nathan